1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Dish Network rate increases

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by phrelin, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1 of 19
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    February 1 is the annual date for rate increases for Dish. As we all know they froze the basic package rates until next year. However, as someone who gets billed on the 1st for the period beginning on the 17th, I do see and read my February bill carefully and actually did expect some kind of increase. Here's the info that came with this February bill:

[​IMG]

Sorry about the quality but, that's the best I could do with a screenshot of the PDF bill. Anyway, the group under the heading 2012 Pricing indicates the items.

As noted in another thread and the fine print at the bottom of the notice above, there is a new Residential Customer Agreement.

My only concern is something that does not affect me. I think it was bad PR to increase the DishLATINO Basico for existing customers before next year if that's what they are doing.

What does affect me is a $2 increase in the Bundled Premium Movie Networks. No big deal as they are "premium."

2. Feb 4, 2012 #2 of 19
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Title of the thread is a bit mis-leading...

3. Feb 4, 2012 #3 of 19
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ok, let me clarify. The following are the rates increased this year:
    • Bundled Premium Movie Networks
    • DishLATINO Basico
    • Multi-Sport Pack
    • Box Return
    • Late Charge

4. Feb 4, 2012 #4 of 19
    satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    OK,
    so for an extra 99$ you can get service without contract?

Or do you forefit all the freebie/promo's when you do this?

My guess is you would have to pay initial install out of pocket,correct?

5. Feb 4, 2012 #5 of 19
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here's the results of going through the new customer signup process on line using fictitious customer info, though I had to stop before checkout:

[​IMG]

It appears what a new customer electing to opt out of a two year contract won't get is the basic package savings of $15 for 12 months. So with the $99 you sacrifice $279. You still get the 3-mo freebie Blockbuster and four premiums packages. That works out to $11.63 per month over 24 months. And that $279 would buy 16 months of cancellation fees.

6. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    A no brainer then.

Thanks for taking the time.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Price increase season started
    Got from a bill:
    Quote:
    DishLATINO Básico will increase by $3 to $22.99/mo.
    Premium bundles will increase by $2/mo.
    New prices are 2-Pay - $26, 3-Pay - $35 and 4-Pay - $44.

8. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    well, since you felt like you had to say it again, I guess I will too...

which means, just as Dish promised last year, my bill didn't go up this year!

9. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Don't know what Dish's net adds will be when they report 4Q11 earnings next week (DTV's were 125K), but I would be embarking on precisely the same strategy Dish's management has chosen.

DTV is the premium sports PayTV provider. It has decided that its subscriber base can shoulder rate hikes significantly above inflation.

Dish has decided that the median wage, which has stagnated over the last decade, will continue to do so.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I didn't mean what you put in my mouth, but it was an action by locking my thread, what turn me to THE thread.
    And , really, you don't need to frame my posts in each thread.

11. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    No increase for me, although my bill went $5 in January and will go up $5 next month. Both increases due to expiring promotional credits. I could cut it $6 by dropping protection plan, which I added a year ago. I've had one remote replaced and one 1:45 service call on the plan so I guess it paid for itself. But like my health insurance, I might save a lot one year and little the next so it's always a gamble.

12. scorpion43

scorpion43 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 16, 2011
    NO INCREASE in my bill
    unlike directv dish didn't raise their rates

13. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    The only increase I got was adding STARZ after the promotion was over.

14. homeron

homeron Mentor

Oct 16, 2007
    actually dish did raise the rates they went from 4 dollars to 7 dollars for the late fee. I don't have my bill with me but I believe that was the difference. that is indeed a raise in rates. and I would guess that would be millions of dollars a month for them.

15. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Not if you pay your bill on time.

16. scorpion43

scorpion43 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 16, 2011
    theres a way to avoid that fee
    Pay your bill ON TIME:lol:

17. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I suspect / Believe that very few Dish subscribers pay late. Not to mention that my recollection is they guaranteed package prices not everything.

Just don't pay late and never have that fee at all.

I've had DirecTV and Dishnetwork sometimes at the same time for many years, Before there were DVRs, and never been late paying. It can't be that hard to pay on time if I can do it. :)

18. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    My rate went up $20 a year ago, $10 last month (lost a discount), and when my free Platinum ends next month and I add it back, another $10.... and I'll lose the free Starz (which I don't really care about). Still a lot better than Cable!

19. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Sorry, expiring discounts and promotional programs may raise your invoice but they are not rate increases. By your logic when JC Penney was having 40% off sales every weekend the newspaper headline every Monday should have read "Penney raises prices 40%".

Be happy you had the discounts and promotions for a while. I am with the ones I had that are expiring. But we both knew what the "real" cost was and that someday we would have to pay it.