1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

2014 National Memorial Day Concert

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, May 23, 2014.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    [​IMG]

Be sure to set your timers for this Sunday on your PBS station. Here's the promo

[youtubehd]rBdmA94GrYg[/youtubehd]

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The last Capitol Fourth was a bit of a disappointment.

I'd like to see less "pop" and make sure they squeeze in all of the Armed Forces Hymns. We musn't lose sight of what we're celebrating.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I wonder how much PBS is influenced by government funding....This looks like a tribute piece, not that there's anything wrong with that.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The Memorial Day Concert is what it is supposed to be. From Wikipedia:

From the PBS website:

I doubt PBS decided to carry this annual event because of the influence of government money. It's a better show than the Fourth of July show, but there is enough cynic in me to flinch during the sponsorship listing. Guess why:

Nonetheless we record it every year because it's usually a very good show and watch it on Memorial Day as it helps us to remember my wife's sister.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thanks, phrelin. I guess my cynicism went overboard....