1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

21-100 deletes recordings upon restart

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dcmidnight, Apr 14, 2009.

1. dcmidnight

dcmidnight Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    To follow up on my problems with the "delete this recording now" problem...

Yesterday this happened 3 times - seemingly "recorded" episodes only to be asked to delete them upon pressing play. So tonight I check my list - see a bunch of stuff that had taped today - but decided to restart again to see if it would fix the problem I had with House last night.

Well the good news is that restarting seems to have "fixed" the House episode from last night. The maddening news is that the 21-100 deleted EVERY SHOW I had taped after House yesterday - maybe 8 shows (Heroes, 24, CSI Miami and a few from today). History shows them as canceled or deleted.

What the hell?

2. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    wow, wonder if a second reset will bring them back. never had this so don't know, but might be worth trying.

3. dcmidnight

dcmidnight Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    Nope, it did not.

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sounds like something is frakked on or with the hard drive.

You can try to run the disk utilites in the diagnostics screens, but your best bet would be to have it replaced.

You can get to the diagnostics screen by hitting the select button on the front of the unit (not the remote) when it says "running receiver self check"

5. Cyrus

Cyrus Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    It works by hitting SELECT on the remote too. Or at least it did the one time I tried.

6. DanER40

DanER40 Legend

Oct 25, 2007
    Since you lost everything, maybe you can try the reset everything option. My HD was freezing up on me a while back and I tried a regular reset and it erased my whole drive (for some odd reason) but didn't fix the freezing. After I did the reset everything option my it fixed the freezing. Keep in mind this resets your box to factory settings, thus erasing series links and all.

*edit*

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you lost everything, not just recent recordings.

7. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Legend

Apr 8, 2006
    I had this issue also. I did a full reset (format and all) and noticed that the first thing I recorded after the reset also had this issue; a restart fixed that, but also deleted some of the season passes I had set up.

8. dcmidnight

dcmidnight Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    Still having this issue. Have restarted probably a dozen times in the last week. Still waiting on a reply from DTV on replacing the unit. But to be honest, I dont know if I want another piece of crap DVR that is only going to fail again in another 6 months.

Hard to believe I had 2 Tivo units for almost 8 years combined and not once - not once - did I have an issue.

9. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    They must have changed that since the last time I used the BIST. Good to know. :)

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Did you run any of the hard drive utilities? If so, what were the results?

11. dcmidnight

dcmidnight Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    Tonight it went all the way down - it had been passing tests but no longer. Kaput. Will not restart at all.

But wouldnt but know it, the good old HR10-250 that has been sitting plugged in in my basement but basically unused for the last 8 months still works like a charm. Its still been recording all my old season passes like clockwork. At least I can watch *something* for the next week or so until DTV gets around to sending me a replacement unit. Going on 5 years old and has worked - WITHOUT FAIL!

Anyway, I'm just saying...

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    One thing to keep in mind, be it a Tivo, +DVR or a Dish DVR, a hard drive is a hard drive is a hard drive and they are all prone to drive failures.

In otherwords, it doesn't matter who made it, it's not a matter of if the drive will fail, it's a matter of when.

13. dcmidnight

dcmidnight Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    I guess its just coincidence - or my good fortune then - that I have a Sony T60 that is @ 8 years old and still works and the HR10-250 that is going on 5 years old and works just fine. Never one single problem with either.

I agree with you in principle but my real life experience has been different :)

14. calidelphia

calidelphia Godfather

Feb 17, 2007
    I think your issue is with the TAPE deck in your HR...
    I'm sorry. I couldn't help Myself.:D

15. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Legend

Apr 8, 2006
    As stated in another thread, I got a 1TB WD Caviar GP and an Antec MX-1 enclosure... that definitely solved my issues, though I obviously can't view what little I recorded on the old drive now.