1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

211k forgets it is a DVR

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by ruralruss, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ruralruss

ruralruss AllStar

Feb 5, 2010
    Every 4 to six weeks my 211k forgets it is a DVR. What is really a pain about this is I don't know it until I am wanting to record something, which many times is record something right then.

Only way to fix is reboot. Does anybody else encounter this?

2. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    What message does it give you when you try to record?

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    OP didn't provide any info about the EHD: what is the EHD model ? What drive inside ? Is power saving mode turned on for the drive or/and for the internal [USB-SATA] controller? Etc.

4. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    My guess was the power saving mode as well :D

5. ruralruss

ruralruss AllStar

Feb 5, 2010
    When I hit the record button it does nothing. If I hit the DVR button it brings up the screen to create a timer to record to a vcr.

6. ruralruss

ruralruss AllStar

Feb 5, 2010
    It is a 1TB Hitachi SATA drive in an enclosure with a USB II interface. The drive does not have a native power saving ability that I am aware of. If it did I doubt it would take between 4 to 6 weeks of continuous running to kick in.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If you don't know the model, the chip (USB-SATA), so still has unknown the power settings - you can't be sure; I would accept your doubts as contributing factor to the issue. :)

8. ruralruss

ruralruss AllStar

Feb 5, 2010
    How can my doubts affect a piece of electronic hardware? The hard disk is continually spinning, I can tell. The blue light indicates it is running and it is always blue, 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, including when the receiver thinks it is not there. The only time something changes is if I unplug the receiver, then the light turns red indicating it is not attached to a device. Even then the disk is still spinning.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That's need to know, but to get the info I need to pull it hard from you. You posting each time only small piece of the issue...

Back to technical - your USB-SATA controller could be set that way, ie the drive is spinning but connection is seized.
    Yet again, I can't pull from you models of the enclosure and the drive.