1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 hour wrestling channel?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Steveox, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Jun 5, 2004 #1 of 24
    Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    What does everyone think about if they ever create a 24 hour wrestling channel?If id the money i create a 24 hour wrestling channel.You can see non stop wrestling from around the world and old WWF footages from the 50s 60s and 70s And youll be watching this? :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Jun 5, 2004 #2 of 24
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Mr. McMahon has repeatedly announced his intention to do this. Hence his acquisition of the AWA video library and collections for, other circuits. He will be suppling several cable operators with aVOD service soon.

3. Jun 5, 2004 #3 of 24
    JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Gee, I can hardly wait. Next to 24 hour shopping channels, what more could you want.

4. Jun 5, 2004 #4 of 24
    Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Thank You Mr McManhon!!!!! I love Wrestling!!

5. Jun 5, 2004 #5 of 24
    Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    The new service called WWE 24/7 will only be available on Cable and only available via Video on Demand.

6. Jun 5, 2004 #6 of 24
    Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I thought I said that Scott.

7. Crow

Crow Guest

Actually, in the U.K. there is a 24 hour wrestling network. It shows older Feds and newer Indie feds.

8. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    I would like to catch some of it. Growing up as an AWA fan, Sunday morning was the best.

Who could forget such AWA jobbers as Tom "Rocky" Stone, Nacho Berrera, Jake "The Milkman" Milliman and the jobber of jobbers
    "From Minneapolis, Minnesota. Weighing two hundred and fourty ponds. Its The Sodbuster Kenny Jay"! (by the way, he was on a wrestling show about a month or so ago) :)

9. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Didn't Jake Milliman win some weird tournament that the AWA held in their waning days when they were desperately trying to fight off eing driven out of business by MC Mahon and Turner. The AWA was on ESPN but sure squandered the platform.

10. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    Yep. Taken from a great site about it www.kayfabememories.com

The Team Challenge Series. The TV shows became completely focused on three teams fighting each other in a series of gimmick matches for points, and the team with the most points would be declared the winner after some undefined time period. The results were chaos, with no one keeping track of the results to any great degree, and crowds were finally so embarrassingly small that the only feasible way to keep from going broke was to film everything in a closed studio with no fans.

In late 1990, in a fitting end to the Series and the AWA, longtime jobber Jake Milliman won a "turkey on a pole" match to claim the victory for his team on the last original episode aired of AWA wrestling on ESPN

11. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes that was it. I think they went on shoeing "classic" matches for awhile but they did indeed fade away. Kind of sad as it was once one of the most important promotions in the "sport." But hey any promotion that thought that the best way to draw crowds was to keep the title with Nick Bockwinkel over Hogan had a problem.

12. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    Chief
    Here is a real good article on the AWA. Their rise and major fall.

Its from the kayfabememories site :)

13. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    What a shock! :eek: Go figure. :rolleyes:

14. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Wea ll need a break from Materpiece Theater once ina awhile.

15. Jasonbp

Jasonbp Godfather

Jun 17, 2002
    I doubt that WWE 24/7 will ever get off the ground. The official website for the service hasn't been updated since March 24th, 2004. Almost three months...nothing.

Vince is trying to get his film company (WWE Films, wow...who came up with that?) started. Why try that when his music company bombed...signed one band and didn't do crap for them.

And guess who's "starring" in the first WWE film? His son-in-law, HHH (whatever his real name is), what a shock. :nono2:

16. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    a copuple of weeks ago he was on TSN's "Off the Record" and he stated they are still getting everything ready for the WWE 24/7 VOD service

17. Jasonbp

Jasonbp Godfather

Jun 17, 2002

Your right...I do remember reading that.

But I doubt it'll get off the ground. If (and thats a BIG if) is does take off, it'll be dead within a year.

Pro Wrestling isn't as big as it was four to six years ago.

Its not the same thing (not trying to make it sound like it) but: Just like TNA on PPV every Wednesday, buys this year are 6-8 thousand a week, down from 9-12 thousand a week last year.

I doubt Vince will get enough buys to keep it going. And who knows what he will charge but if I want to watch a PPV from 10,12,15 years ago. I am not going to pay more than $8 max.

18. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    Oh I know

I remember being glued to the TV every Monday & Thursday night...having 2 VCR's going..one for Nitro..one for Raw.

Now, I kinda watch Raw...havent seen Smackdown in a while..never ordered a TNA PPV. The syndicated show, Xplosion, is leaving our local channel after next week.

I really do like the Independent stuff, though...will go out and watch a few independent shows locally in MN....get some videotapes of other feds...especially like the hardcore "blood n guts" stuff...

19. Jasonbp

Jasonbp Godfather

Jun 17, 2002
    I watch RAW but I don't 'watch' it, I flick between a few different shows. Out of the whole program I watch maybe 10 minutes a week.

SmackDown! I don't like the way its booked and don't watch it. But I read the spoilers off pwinsider.com/1wrestling.com.

I don't order the TNA PPVs either. Never saw Xplosion. I do watch the new show, Impact! (its only had 3/4 eps.), they have on Fox Sports Net. It airs on most FSN Fridays at 3PM. So if you get any of the FSN on E* I would check that out. The six side ring they use is different, and the X Division is great.

20. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    All I have on Dish is locals...I can get Empire SPorts on FTA..but its the only RSN that isnt carrying it :(