1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"24" No Longer Believable

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by JM Anthony, Mar 14, 2006.

1. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I can go along with a lot of things when it comes to 24. Jack Bauer's picture is next to the phrase "suspend belief" in the dictionary, and I'm cool with that. But when CTU takes an unexpected reduction in force due to the release of the dreaded Centox nerve gas and they bring in some bimbo from the, get this, Department of Homeland Security, I can't take it any more!!

Maybe she'll get bumped off on her ride to CTU. But if she does make it inside, it will be interesting to see if she can make one of the phones work or figure out how to flush the potty. Be afraid CTU staffers. Be very afraid.

John

2. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    Hey, I like this season, as it doesn't seem as any character is safe. Makes the episodes more suspenseful. Besides, since Lynn is dead, we need a "good guy" character that we can shout "WHAT A FRIGGIN IDIOT' at the tv (besides Prez Logan).

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    When has 24 ever been realistic?

4. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    This is a great season for 24. I just found it a riot that DHS would be brought in to save the day. They're having a tough time just saving themselves let alone a bunch of Los Angelinos!!

5. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    I really like the way you can just hold your breath and you can survive an exposure to nerve gas....... :nono:

I think thats what Edgar is actually doing. Somehow Edgar is going to come back to life.....

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Just hold your breath until the S5 release of un-believ-a-gas dissipates into the ventilation system and out onto the streets of LA.

As much as I've enjoyed 24 since the very beginning (I even bought seasons 1-4 on DVD), my patience with the Nixon look-a-like pres (whats-his-name-who cares-anyway) and with the demise of so many beloved characters, I am getting concerned that soon the writing credits at the end of each episode will begin to include names like "Bozo", "Cheeta", "Clyde" and "Mowgli".

We now know why Dennis Haysbert left the show, but did David Palmer have to get whacked (in the first epi at that!) :eek2: Looks like Jack could use a little HELP! from The Unit's Jonas and his team.

All shows eventually run out of fresh ideas, but recent events at CTU stretch the elastic of my credulity and make me believe "24" may have run out of "gas" well before the release of the deadly Centox.

I'll stick around until the end of S5, or until the now dysfunctional CTU is disbanded, whichever comes first. In any event, I think this will be the final season of "24", and yes, I'll fork out another fifty bucks for the S5 DVD just to complete the collection.

On bended knee, I humbly thank the gods of television that we now have "The Unit" coming on strong to champion the never-ending fight for 'Truth, Justice and the American Way'.

:rolleyes: <sigh>

7. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    Local drive time radio had an interesting piece this AM on the "circle of life" 10-12 years ago, we were in a big cycle where everyone was getting married and having babies. Now we're in a cycle where the cast is getting bumped off or at least at risk as a way of holding audience attention. The analyst noted that the death cycle requires close monitoring as it can be pretty draining (both cast as well as audience) and all of sudden people get turned off. Interesting observation.

Regarding Edgar, I think they'll find a way to bring him back as a symbol of hope.

24 is fun to watch. It's pure escapism with little bearing on reality. I definitely agree with Nick that Pres. Logan is the least presidential dude around. While I miss Palmer's sneer, I'll never miss Logan's sniveling whimper.

John