1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

24: The next "Jack" ?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by jeffshoaf, Jun 3, 2014.

1. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Kiefer Sutherland has often said he thinks 24 can continue on without him with a younger actor as the lead. So... is Yvonne Strahovski being set up as the next "Jack?"

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think so.

3. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Loved her as Hannah in Dexter. Like her so far in 24, but I'm not ready to hand her Jack's job just yet. :)

4. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    She rocked Chuck too! A sort of "Alias" feel to her character on Chuck.

5. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I'm hoping she'll need to go undercover on 24 in her ponytails and Weiner Hut outfit from the 1st season of Chuck.

6. heathramos

heathramos Legend

Dec 19, 2005
    She seems more like a side kick to me.

Watching her torture people for information wouldn't be the same as it is with Jack.

Maybe Jack's character can change as he gets older. Be more of a leader of a group and strategist.

I'm picturing an old Bruce Wayne. Not sure if Kiefer still wants to do this role, though.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    There is real talk about a spinoff for her. But now that we have 24 back we understand why it was cancelled. It's old and tired; older and tired-er than Jack. Rather than improving on 24, they just ressurected it, and sent it out there like a broken-down pitcher on Old-Timer's Day. I was expecting them to improve on the show rather than just do a retread in order to cash the checks.

If she is the "new blood", what I wish is that they re-imagine the show to the point where it hardly resembles the old chestnut that 24 has become. First of all, unless there is a cheetah in the scene, there is zero comic relief (intentional or not), absolutely nothing to break the tension. Having a lead with a dry, wry sense of humor is part of why a dark, sinister show like X Files worked as well as it did. Pair her with someone with that personality. Hell, pair her with Duchovny himself. She seems to have little sense of humor, but boy oh boy, has she got everything else.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I agree and I'm all in for that. ;)

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    In light of her performance on Louie, I am re-evaluating my opinion. It could be that Yvonne always plays straight, no-nonsense characters that makes me think she has no sense of humor. But the first half of her Louie episode was her laughing (and the only one in Louie's audience that was laughing) and there is no sweeter sound than a hot girl laughing. It sends a subconscious signal that she is content and enjoying herself and may just stick around, which is a subconsious cue all men subconsciously want to hear. (Sorry, another X Files reference coming) Agent Dana Scully was also a hot, no-nonsense broad, and just her brandishing a firearm was , uhh, stimulating. But the fire she lit under me that was the hottest was the episode when she was drugged silly and could not stop laughing. I wish there was an X Files out-take reel somewhere.