1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Ethernet Port

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mojoe, Jan 18, 2009.

1. mojoe

mojoe Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    Can the 2nd ethernet port on the H21 (I believe) be used as a type of router? My router has 4 ethernet ports and I don't have enough room to plug in everything I need. I plan to run a cable to my DVR receiver and then from the DVR to my 360. Will that work? And will my 360 still be able to contact my network?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you're talking about an HR21 DVR, you should be able to run a second device into it and share the same network connection. it functions as sort of a two-port switch.

3. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    So, how about HR20's? I already have one long network cable run to the DVR from the router so can I connect my BluRay to the second ethernet port of my DVR? Will that work so I don't have to run another long network cable?

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    No. The HR20-700 only has one ethernet connection and the HR20-100 has two but the second one does not work.

5. mojoe

mojoe Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    And the HR22? I'm not sure which it is that I have. The HR21 or 22. Its the SD one.

6. psweig

psweig Hall Of Fame

Feb 4, 2006
    Why? :D

7. mojoe

mojoe Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    The ones we have are HR22-100s.

8. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    HR21, HR22, and HR23 all work as a network "pass through" (really like a mini 3 port switch with one of the ports taken by the receiver and the other 2 being the external jacks)

No idea really, but would assume that the hardware does not support it even though there is a second physical jack there.

9. HiDuck

HiDuck AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    And I just purchased a five port switch to get my Roku off WiFi :uglyhamme

10. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Press and hold the "Info" button on the remote. The first two lines will show the Manufacturer and the Model number. Please post that information to get clear information on what ports may or may not work on your system.

PS
    The chipset used in the active dual port system is a switch fabric and it should not be called a "pass through". I know a lot of people use this term loosely, but it is not correct network terminology. BCM5325 Data Sheet shows it to be a 5/6 port switch. Sorry if you think I am getting to knit picky, I probably am. The only time a pass-through is ever used in network terminology, it usually is referring to a firewall pass-though not a traffic passing designated port or when using it as a passive pass-through port which is implied in optical networking that concerns more of the data storage devices. OK, I'm off the soap box now.

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I just use "pass through" as it is easier to explain in this specific case :p

12. mojoe

mojoe Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    Posted earlier.

13. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    yea tell me about it. I did not know this either and I got a 5 port switch to connect my HR21 and HR22 to my single ethernet outlet. I could have just daisy chained them. DOH! Well at least I have 3 empty ports now.

14. Paul A

Paul A Godfather

Jul 12, 2007
    I have an HR21 that I hooked up to my network and I plugged my computer into the 2nd ethernet jack to avoid buying a router. I experienced so many problems with my computer dropping off the internet and I was constantly rebooting the HR21 to fix the problem. I eventually bought a router and havn't had a problem with my computer since.

15. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Sorry I missed that!

When in doubt or not sure about something specific on your Model of Directv equipment, go to the DIRECTV First Looks and Reviews and take a gander at the write up on it. The information is usually there.

16. Paul A

Paul A Godfather

Jul 12, 2007
    Thanks, I did that and learned about the feature. My point is that the feature did not work very well as I constantly had to reboot the HR21 due to numerous dropped connections to the internet. Not sure if anyone else has ever experienced this behavior with the 2nd ethernet jack or not.

17. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    If you didn't have a router, where did the different devices get IP addresses from? Did you manually set them all? Seems like a router would be easier.

18. Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z Godfather

Jul 30, 2007
    "..to knit picky.."?

Nope, not too nit-picky. ;)

And so that this is somewhat on-topic....I have an HR20 -100 and am bummed that the 2nd ethernet port is not active - I could have used it.

19. Paul A

Paul A Godfather

Jul 12, 2007
    Sorry for the misclarification. I have a central router which is wired to all the rooms in the house. With this particular room there is only 1 network feed from that router and I was hoping NOT to have to buy another router/hub or run a second network feed.