1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Hopper - waiting until after install

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Gone2Maui, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Gone2Maui

Gone2Maui AllStar

Nov 23, 2005
    I'm having a hopper and 2 joey system installed next month. If I like it, I know I will need a 2nd hopper. But I don't want to pay $199 for the hopper if I am dissatisfied with Dish.

Will I have a problem installing the 2nd hopper on my own? Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    As of today, 2nd Hopper is $99 for AT120 and above. I don't believe you will get that price once you are active. It might be better to get it with initial install and return it if you don't feel you want/need it afterward, but I doubt you will get the $99 back.

3. Gone2Maui

Gone2Maui AllStar

Nov 23, 2005
    garys, where do you see that price? I signed up through my phone company and while I was on the phone they contacted Dish and confirmed the increase would be $199. I selected the AT250 package.

At that price I would pick up the 2nd hopper with the install.

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    New promo started today. You may have to cancel and setup again. But then again, it may not be available through your phone co.

5. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    i paid $200 for 2 hoppers and 1 joey 4 months ago(upgraded from 1 722 and 2 HD receivers)
    i've been with dish for 2 years

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The other problem...

A single Hopper only gets you a single node installed.

Two Hoppers requires a dual node... so there might be wiring considerations.

Single node requires 2 cables from a switch or built-in-to-dish switch. Dual node required 3 cables input.

Entirely possible that if you get something like I did, an eastern arc dish that has a built-in switch, he may only run 2 cables down for the single node because that is all it needs.

When I got my installation, I asked them to go ahead and run that 3rd cable in case I needed it (which ultimately I did for another receiver)... otherwise I would have had to go to the roof and run that cable myself too.

7. ehilbert1

ehilbert1 Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    Do I have to call to get the $99 two hopper special? I just want 2 hoppers and no joeys. Thanks.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Your best bet would be contact DIRT member here - send him a PM.

9. billcg

billcg Mentor

Apr 2, 2006
    I asked twice for a two hopper/no joey configeration and got a very strong NO. I PMed our DIRT guy and he came back with the same answer.

Good luck -- maybe they have changed their mind!!!!
    Bill

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Or make it in two steps: order H+J, then in a week complain about many timers - not enough tuners to record 5..6 channels and ask to replace one J to second H ...

11. HotRod19579

HotRod19579 AllStar

Jul 31, 2004
    I just placed an order last night for two Hoppers and no Joey's and they are due to be installed next Thursday. I explained that I was replacing a 922 with OTA and a 622 and I wouldn't move down to a 3 tuner system.

12. ehilbert1

ehilbert1 Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    I'll try and order just two. If they say no I just won't switch. We have Premier with Direct and plan on getting the everything pack with Dish. So if they say no I'll just keep giving Direct my money.

Thanks for your input guys!

13. Gone2Maui

Gone2Maui AllStar

Nov 23, 2005
    Just called my phone company to make the equipment change. They had to transfer me to Dish. The rep changed my order to two hoppers and one joey and charged me $99 for the second hopper.

Installing the first hopper in my family room will be no problem since my TV is against the wall where my current satellite cable comes in. But I want to put the 2nd hopper in my living room but the existing cable run is about 75 feet and a mix of RG6 connected to some other coax cable that is in the walls that came with the house. I'm concerned that there will be a problem with the hopper's connection even though I never had a problem with the cable and DirecTV.

I mentioned this to the Dish CSR and he said he added a note on the ticket to bring an extra Joey. If there is an issue, my plan is to install both hoppers in my family room and the joeys in the other two rooms until I can find some time to run new RG6 cable to the living room.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That could be a road block for 2nd H - the cable from a [Duo] node should be better then low-grade RG-6, ie support good propagation of RF signals up to 3 GHz.