1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

2nd residence question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Garry, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but, here goes.

I presently have my main residence with Directv with a total of 3 DVRS and 2 other receivers. I recently purchased a condo unit in a large development in which Directv service is provided.

Would it be possib

le, when being in the condo, take one of the DVRS from my main residence and hook it up at my condo? Even if paying for HD service at the condo?

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Condo has a bulk MDU D* contract ?

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Do you know what type of system is being used in the condo?

4. Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006
    Yes, I believe it does have a bulk MDU D* contract. And I don't know what type of system is used.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The rule is separate locations separate accounts and the receivers must be at the location stated on the account.

I can understand your logic if you are paying for an account at each location ... especially if the accounts are on the same level. But you would lose me on any rationalization for breaking the rule if the accounts were not equal. (For example, if you have Sunday Ticket at home but not at the condo and you bring your home receiver to the condo to watch content not subscribed to at that location.) There is a lot of "rationalization" when it comes to these kinds of questions ("tailgating" at the second location, etc). But we don't get into the rationalization discussions ... the rules are the rule.

The rule is separate locations separate accounts and the receivers must be at the location stated on the account.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As far as whether or not the receiver would even work, it depends on what type of MDU system is installed. But if you are going to pay for a second account regardless, you might as well have a receiver dedicated to that location (and be fully within the terms of service).

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The pertinent language is located in the phone connection topic (Article 1f of the Customer Agreement) and has been recently updated to include a common Internet connection so this may represent a shift in how they effectively determine eligibility for mirroring as well as, perhaps, a new emphasis on enforcement.

Previously, this language was difficult to enforce, but not so much now.

8. Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006
    Wasn't trying to rationalize anything, just asking if it was posslble. I have no intention of breaking any rules.