1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 DRV's each on it's own ISP for DOD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lostman72, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostman72

lostman72 Legend

Nov 28, 2005
    I have 3 ISP in my home. I would like to have each DVR on it's own ISP (HR20-700) just to give me more down load speed. Do you think DTV will have a problem with this? I do have them all on phone lines and yes they are all in my home. I could have one on DSL one on Cable modem and the other on a EVDO router.

I can see if I put all my boxes on one ISP with my kids using it and the adults it my chock it to a crawl. I have several boxes and I plan on making them all HR20-700. To make it a total of 8.

2. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Get a load balancing multi-wan router like the one's Xincom sells. At any given time my HR20s can be on either of our connections and we haven't had an issue.

www.xincom.com

The best part is with a setup like this if you're downloading something with a download manager on your PC it'll combine the connections to give you some serious speed.

3. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    They won't know or care.

4. tooloud10

tooloud10 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    There's a good chance his EVDO provider will, though.

5. cruise350

cruise350 Legend

Dec 24, 2006
    If you have Verizon for your EVDO I give you about 2 months before they shut you down and prohibit your use for 2 years. They have a 10gb month limit on thier unlimited download and if you are a frequent abuser they will shut you down. If you have Sprint, you should be OK because they rarely enforce their download caps.

6. kwt

kwt Cool Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Verizon was fined in NY for this practice. The settlement included refunding people the termination fees.

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    They refunded people the cost of the modem cards. Verizon doesn't advertise the service as unlimited anymore as well.

8. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Seems the money for multiple ISP lines would be better spent on a larger pipe and router with QoS support.

9. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    We keep two here because a lot of our practice depends on the internet.

Larger pipes than a cable modem are called fractional T-3s and that's a pretty big jump in price.

We spend under $100 a month for Cable and DSL service combined, have basically 0 downtime and when I really need to download something fast my router can combine the two speeds for about 14mbps.

I'm thinking the only upgrade to either one would be a very expensive leased line (fractional T-3).

Certainly, not everyone needs that...but it's not a bad redundant solution for net access.

10. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    If you could get anything around 10 MB for your cable connection and have a descent router with QoS, you wouldn't see any performance issues web browsing. You also shouldn't see any issues on your local network.

Having large bandwith is always good, but just because its large doesn't mean you will download any faster.

11. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Only have one choice of cable modem speed here and my router does QOS. Every so often the cable modem does go out though...it's real nice to have a fallback.

12. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    For fallback, I can definitely understand 2 providers. He was talking about 3, just seems likes overkill. I'm somewhat fortunate I can get 12 MB over cable in my area, but still not lucky enough to have Fios yet. Still waiting...

One other note, QoS is absolutely necessary with todays home networks IMHO. If all you do is browse the web, maybe it won't matter. If you play games online, stream music and videos, make IP phone calls, and download files while browsing the web...its almost mandatory.

13. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I actually have the same "third" he does too. I can use bluetooth to connect to my Sprint phones and get okay speed for email and surfing. Not something I'd want to download a HD movie over though.

14. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    I make use of Sprint also. Their EVDO is very nice. Agree with you about downloading HD files though.

15. lostman72

lostman72 Legend

Nov 28, 2005
    I have Verizon. I am not a sprint fan. I guess I will wait and see if Verizon gets upset if I down load to much.

16. lostman72

lostman72 Legend

Nov 28, 2005
    Well I have 3 but I only pay for 1. My kids down load lots of crap and I don't want them going some were were the company might get upset. Heck they get upset about things like Hotmail, Myspace, and so on. So one ISP is for the kids and the other two are for work. I think they will be OK with me going to Directv?

17. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    You should be fine. I certainly hope ISP's don't start complaining about this.

18. lostman72

lostman72 Legend

Nov 28, 2005
    I have friends that go over that almost every month they use Slingbox and stream video and so on. They have Verizon. I guess I will try to down load over 10G and see what happens. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.