1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 HR2XX in Same Room, 1 Harmony Remote?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by susanandmark, Nov 19, 2010.

1. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    OK, so I did a search and found some 2008 thread asking about this and saying it was impossible, but read in a 2009 thread (http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=154302) there are now 8 different IR codes so this should be possible, right? I want to be able to control 3 HD DVRs (HR 20, HR21 and HR24) with one Harmony 880 remote

Here's my situation ... After not being terribly happy with DirecTV for a while and planning to move on when my contract expired, they started the new HD DNS rules and, because we are grandfathered with SD DNS, we recently got HD DNS too. Well, that sucked me back in and I'm finally replacing the HR20 which has been limping along for a while now (lots of drop outs, when no other receiver has them; frequently "loses" channels and has to be reset, etc.) BUT there are still lots of programs I'd like to watch on the external drive (yes, I'm keeping it activated until we're done), so I want to keep it in the room until we do that. (We have two HR units to begin with because of the 50-series limit. One is our "must-see" DVR, the other has stuff for the kids, my husband's sporting events, etc. May be overkill, but it works for us.)

Anyway, I need to know how to set-up the Harmony for the third HR24, using a different code set than the HR20 and HR21 are currently using, obviously. I'm not totally technically illiterate about these things, and got the set-up working for the two same-room units (albeit three years ago now), but am just not seeing how to make it work, easily for three.

If anyone can point me in a good direction (somewhere that has step-by-step directions would be awesome, but that may be a pipe dream) in terms of programing the remote and the new HR unit to work along with the other two, I'd be quite grateful.

2. BigBearf

BigBearf Cool Member

May 29, 2006
  3. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    Thank you very much. Got it up and running with no problem at all!