1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 MORE HD LiL Markets For This Year

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bamaweather, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    ...in addition to the several new local markets announced through 2011, these three were added to the list today:

Monroe LA - August 2010
    Erie PA - September 2010
    Salisbury MD - October 2010

http://www.directv.com/hdlocals/

Still nothing for existing SD markets. But it has to be encouraging that they are still adding new markets.

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    There is alot more then 3 for this year.

Abilene-Sweetwater TX — October 2010
    Albany, GA — August 2010
    Amarillo TX — October 2010
    Binghamton NY — October 2010
    Clarksburg-Weston WV — October 2010
    Columbus GA — September 2010
    Erie PA — September 2010
    Gainesville FL — September 2010
    Lubbock TX — September 2010
    Monroe LA-El Dorado AR — August 2010
    Montgomery AL — October 2010
    Salisbury MD — October 2010
    Sioux City IA — October 2010
    Terre Haute IN — October 2010
    Wheeling WV-Steubenville OH — Oct 2010
    Wichita Falls TX-Lawton, OK — Oct 2010

3. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    Josh -

I'm well aware of those. Hence the reason I capitalized "MORE". These three are new additions to the list, as of today. I will edit my post to make that more clear.

4. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I see they switched to alphabetical from chronological...

... shame, I'd always get excited seeing Albany, GA at the top this past week... :D

~Alan

5. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Guess I did read that wrong. I woudl of posted the whole list and made bold the new markets added to the list. The thread title is misleading.

6. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    I agree. Unfortunately I can't change the thread title now.

7. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    One of the mods can update it for you if you like.

8. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    WEIRD...

I read the thread title and instantly knew what it was about... and clicked on the link to see what was announced.

I guess I can see how someone who doesn't keep as close of an eye on this stuff would be confused though...

~Alan

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Very funny. I keep an eye on everything with distants and LIL for D*.

10. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    LOL!! I wasn't talking about you...

.. but that would have been funny had I been! ;)

~Alan

11. Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    A very hot place must have just froze over..Its been 7 years since we were told locals were coming here "soon".

So now a potentially dumb question. Since local channels are included in the package price and I have the old TC+ w/o locals, will I be forced off of TC+ or will they just add the cost of locals to the TC+ bill and let me keep TC+? I dont really want to be bumped off TC+..

Also the local FOX station here is not in HD OTA (16:9 SD upconvert on a subchannel), but Cable has it in HD. Will the HD feed be carried or will they do a SV channel from Balt./Wash.?

I dont really follow the rules and stuff on locals since its never applied so any info on this would be appreciated.

12. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    You should be able to get a CSR who will allow you to keep TC+ and add locals, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have to try a couple times.

You'll likely be stuck with whatever is OTA for Fox.

13. Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    Would I be allowed to keep FOX HD DNS out of NY then? I really dont want to lose FOX HD, I cant stand the OTA feed as its horrible PQ as a subchannel with 16:9 SD.

14. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    I don't know for certain, because I've never had DNS. But my understanding is that you get to keep HD DNS unless the local station specifically asks DirecTV to remove it for you.

15. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Marvin. How about that Salisbury, MD market. Woot woot!
    Regarding Fox21's sd signal. I know cable just changes the transmission to the national feed when HD programming is on. Can Directv do this?

Here's hoping we get to keep the Fox DNS. For me, that just means a potential extra football game to choose from.

16. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    FWIW -- I'm grandfathered in TC plus HBO & Starz!, w/o locals. I'm billed an additional $6/mo for my locals.

17. Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    Well, it would be nice if they could find a way to add FOX in HD even if it was a SV channel from DC, then I could drop the DNS channels I pay $6 a month for and replace them with locals and there wouldnt be any difference in my bill. But if they dont offer some form of FOX in HD then I guess my bill will go up $3.50 to keep FOX HD out of NY (and the SD feed out of LA that I cant get rid of without losing it all) as long as they allow it. Im assuming they would offer an NBC SV feed which would at least let me drop NBC out of NY and save $2.50.

Thanks for the info to the other posters..I guess its pretty much a wait and see game for the next 4 months, but at least I know its coming and I probably wont have to worry about getting bumped off TC+.

18. MattDing

MattDing AllStar

May 11, 2008
    Hell yeah!

19. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    Wish Watertown, NY locals would go up sooner rather than 2011. :-( My next door neighbor doesn't get locals (even OTA) via DirecTV (newer receiver without the AM-21). She has to switch input to watch her soap and every now and then, she would text me and say she's not receiving them. When that happens, I had to go over to her house and monkey around with her antenna. She doesn't have the kind of money to buy a better outdoor antenna just yet.

20. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    This is one of the two things they can do. Add the locals on as a seperate line item which is what they will try to get you to do if you dont want to move off of your grandfathered package. I had to ask someone with the Customer Advocacy Team to change me from Choice Xtra + HD DVR W/O Locals to Choice Xtra + HD DVR W/ Locals. They were able to do it and it added only the normal $3 to my bill. Normal CSR's probably wont make the change for you. If you try and are unsuccessful then let me know and I will shoot you a number where they can do it.