1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

3 Ring; XBOX... Good Site?

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by Earl Bonovich, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Look for a good & real site, with instructions on how to fix a 3 Ring of Death XBOX.

I had mine die about 6 months ago... I purchased a new one, because this is the second time and it was out of the 3 year warranty (release day system).

I want to try to fix it, before I scrap it.

But it looks like most of the google searches come up with sites that want them to pay them to do it, or pay for the instructions (or access to video).

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
  3. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
  4. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Have you seen this one?

You are scaring me. I have never heard of this. I would be very sad if it happened to me.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That's Mickey Mouse's fix; instead of do reballing the GPU BGA chip ... man !
    Non-professional method. :(

6. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Thanks for the links... may need to buy the kit... but I need to have it working in 2 weeks....

7. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    You've never heard of the 3 Red Rings of Death?
    How long of you had an XBOX?

I forgot the number... but it is a STAGGERING percentage of XBOX's (pre-slim model)... suffered from this issue... Some systems (like mine), were fixed my Microsoft under warranty only to fail again.

The first time, I paid the $130... and then they agreed to extend the warranty to 3 years, so they sent me a refund.

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Which one is the Mickey Mouse one?

I am planning to use one of the first two links, where you tear it down...
    Clean the chips, and then put the spacer's in when re-assembling.

If I can fix it for sub-$30, an a couple hours of work... then my son get's an xbox-360... If not... he is stuck watching me play my XBOX360 :)

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Any one what not solving root cause - reballing chip(s).

10. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    No, never. I have the Resident Evil special edition if that gives you a date when I bought it. I never play xbox live, so I may be out of the loop.

11. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Wow, Just kidding, ya, it is/was a BIG problem for XBoxes and Microsoft, I had mine RRoD about 3 years ago, sent it in, got a new one, now I haven't had my XBox on for about 2 years, but that is what 2 kids under 3 will do to ya! LOL