1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 TB on eSata

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by echo, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 18, 2007 #1 of 128
    echo

echo Cool Member

Aug 18, 2007
    After reading the long thread on the eSata port being activated, I decided to hook up an eSata array to my HR20. I got an enclosure and put in three Hitachi 1 TB drives (3 TB total) and set them up in a RAID-0 array.

It's working fine, but the free space reported seems to be wrong. Just wondering if anyone out there can help me with the math and let me know if this seems right???

Here are the total hours I have recorded (actually recorded, not just scheduled to record):
    - 1 hr in HD through DTV
    - 1/2 hr in HD through over the air antenna (digital local)
    - 5 1/2 hrs in non-HD through over the air antenna (digital local)
    - 5 hrs in non-HD through DTV

My system is currently reporting 91% free space. I don't know all the ratios, but I'm thinking with 3 terrabytes of space, that amount of recorded shows should NOT be taking up 9% of my space. Doesn't that seem wrong?

I tested the eSata array to make sure it was being used (and not the internal drive instead) and I'm fairly certain it is working ok. To test it, I took out one of the Hitachi drives while I was watching a recorded show and it immediately froze. Once I put the drive back in and restarted everything it worked fine again.

Also, I'm fairly certain the system is using the eSata array because I had shows already recorded on the internal drive and once I hooked up the eSata array it did all the software downloading steps and once it booted up, my recorded shows were gone.

So, any advice? Do you think those shows listed above really take up 9% of a 3 TB array? Or is the free space just being reported incorrectly?

Maybe the HR20 isn't able to correctly estimate free space when there is 3 TB? If that is the case, do you think it will use the full 3 TB and just report incorrectly, or will I not be able to take advantage of that much space?

Any thoughts are appreciated. I've read a lot of posts on this board and I'm hoping some of the gurus here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

2. Aug 18, 2007 #2 of 128
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    To me it seems like only 1 hard drive is working right and it is only seeing 1TB.

I know it will work with 3TB. Someone posted a couple of months ago about he is using 3.5TB with no problems at all.

3. Aug 18, 2007 #3 of 128
    echo

echo Cool Member

Aug 18, 2007
    I took out 2 of 3 drives (on different occassions) while watching a recorded show, and both times the system froze. That made me think all the drives were working. Do you think maybe it's a problem with the RAID setup? It's weird cause it's clearly working ok, just not reporting the right amount of space. How do you fix something that's working ok but not really working ok?

4. Aug 18, 2007 #4 of 128
    Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Did you install all of the drives before you connected it to the HR20 or did you try to add the other two after the first one was already connected and working?

5. Aug 18, 2007 #5 of 128
    echo

echo Cool Member

Aug 18, 2007
    I installed them all together and setup the RAID array all together.

6. Aug 18, 2007 #6 of 128
    Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Then I am not sure. Something does not seem like it is working right. Hopefully someone that knows more about this can help.

7. Aug 18, 2007 #7 of 128
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    What are you using to set up the RAID? Does it have any diagnostics?

8. Aug 18, 2007 #8 of 128
    echo

echo Cool Member

Aug 18, 2007
    I emailed tech support for the company that made the enclosure, waiting to hear back from them.

I just find it weird that it seems to be working and recording shows, but not displaying the right free space.

9. Aug 18, 2007 #9 of 128
    echo

echo Cool Member

Aug 18, 2007
    I guess there is software included in the enclosure to setup the RAID cause it did so automatically when I first turned it on. It has diagnostics and I've paged through them, and its showing everything perfectly. It sees three separate drives of 1000 GB each and reports a total size of 3000 GB.

Maybe the tech support over there will have some more insight. Kind of frustrating to only get the use of 1 TB when you pay for 3 TB....

10. Aug 18, 2007 #10 of 128
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Welcome to DBSTalk...echo...welcome to DBSTalk. :hi:

11. Aug 18, 2007 #11 of 128
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    If it indeed is only using 1TB of the 3, have you tried taking out the 2nd or 3rd drives to see if that causes it to stop working? You mentioned before you took a drive out earlier to verify that it was using eSATA... was that the first drive in the RAID array?

12. Aug 18, 2007 #12 of 128
    echo

echo Cool Member

Aug 18, 2007
    It's a 5 drive array. I put the drives in positions 1, 3 and 5 for best air flow. On separate occassions, I've taken out the drives in positions 1 and 5. Both caused the machine to freeze.

13. Aug 18, 2007 #13 of 128
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    100 Gigs is reserved by the unit for "D*", but I have to wounder if the box really knows what 3 TB is. [reminds me of a motherboard without the right BIOS to read a larger hard drive].
    Things to look at:
    Setup recording with one drive check usage.
    Setup recording with two drives and check usage.

14. Aug 18, 2007 #14 of 128
    1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    I too have read (and re-read a number of times) all the threads on adding eSATA drives to the HR20, and I'm surprised that the single (to me) basic question hasn't been asked: That is, what drive 'box' are you using.

The HR20 s/w 'expects' to see only ONE drive on the eSATA port, from what I understand, and 'arrays' need to 'present' themselves to the box as if they were a single drive. Folks who put a single drive seem to have the best results, and I think that's exactly what you are seeing, the HR20 see's only one drive. When you put in more than that, things get more than a bit shaky.

There have been (again, in the eSATA threads) some success with certain array drivers (silicon), that appeared to work and then went *Poof* after working for awhile. Others (again, the >3TB ones) seem to be okay, but then no further reports from the poster.

The array driver in your drive box needs to 'present' the array as if it were one drive, and there are controllers that 'presume' to do just that; the chip listed is the Silicon Image SIL4726, but again, not enough feedback on it. You can look that up and see if the box you got has that chip, or some other, or look up the spec on it (the SIL), which touts itself as a 'port multiplier' that make the array look like a single drive to the attached computer.

At least, that's how things are 'working' (or not) at present. I'm hoping that very soon we'll get more s/w upgrades in this area, particularly before VOD rolls out to the masses, because at that point the base drive space will disappear if one blinks slowly! To me as well, 3GB is the real starting off point for decent storage!

15. Aug 18, 2007 #15 of 128
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Ignore most of this as VOS points out below...my reading comprehension skills are slipping.

What type of RAID array do you have setup? RAID 0? RAID 5? The Diag screens should tell you.

RAID 0 should give you the total of all three drives as one
    RAID 5 should give you the total of two drives

There are other possibilities like RAID 1 where one of the drives would basically be ignored (or used as a swap in case of a failure). RAID 1 would give you the space of just a single drive.

So, for max space you want RAID 0. If you want some redundancy go with RAID 5...although I'm not sure how much redundancy would help with the HR20.

16. Aug 18, 2007 #16 of 128
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "I got an enclosure and put in three Hitachi 1 TB drives (3 TB total) and set them up in a RAID-0 array." From post #1

17. Aug 18, 2007 #17 of 128
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Oh, sure...like I'm going to read all the way to the end of the first line. :)

Sorry about that.

If it's RAID 0 should be seen as one drive. Maybe someone at D could tell us if there is a cap on disk space...or perhaps the actual length of some of those recordings listed is much longer than listed?

Does the diag/controller program on the array give you any drive data if you plug it into a computer?

Also, is this an HR20-100 or 700. Has anyone done a large eSATA array on a 100 yet and reported here?

18. Aug 18, 2007 #18 of 128
    echo

echo Cool Member

Aug 18, 2007
    How do I find out if its a 100 or a 700?

19. Aug 18, 2007 #19 of 128
    Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Press the info button for 3 seconds and the info screen will come up and tell you what model it is.

20. Aug 18, 2007 #20 of 128
    Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Or look behind the trap door where the card is. It should tell you there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.