1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

$3 Whole Home DVR fee question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by funkadelic, Jun 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Jun 3, 2014 #1 of 15
    funkadelic

funkadelic Cool Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Hi folks,

I had a question for those that are familiar with the monthly $3 Whole-Home DVR Service fee for the Genie. I never had this monthly charge since I got the HR-34, until the hard drive failed and I had to replace it with a new HR-34 back in December 2013 and ever since, each bill has had this fee.

Is this a required fee if you have a Genie/HR-34? We only have a single TV in our home and a single HR-34 & no other receivers, so the "whole home" feature isn't something that we would ever use. Was it a required fee that DTV pushed onto customers at some point recently, regardless of how many receivers are in the home? The email CSR has stated that it is a mandatory fee but we were never charged it until our HR-34 was replaced with another HR-34.

thanks

2. Jun 3, 2014 #2 of 15
    coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    The system audit most likely automatically added the charge (since you weren't being billed previously) at the same time the replacement receiver was activated. It's apparently a mandatory fee now even with only a single receiver.

Another thread that may be of interest regarding your question: Genie with no Clients?

3. Jun 3, 2014 #3 of 15
    brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    basically there was a very short time when genie was brand new that single genies didnt get charged whole home. Then dtv made it mandatory and when your replacement was activated the rule fired and it was added. technically it should have been there all along or when the added that it was mandatory but you slipped under the radar until it was replaced.

4. Jun 3, 2014 #4 of 15
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Chalk it up to that fact that you got away without paying for it for all that time and leave it at that....

5. Jun 3, 2014 #5 of 15
    funkadelic

funkadelic Cool Member

Jun 15, 2006
    thanks everyone for the confirmation that it's a mandatory fee. It's too bad my HR-34 failed & had to be replaced, then!

6. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    So, I got this nice card from DirecTV about a special gift for being a loyal customer since the beginning. I called them up to add it to my account and guess what? Not so free. I now have a $3 charge for Whole-home even though like the OP I only have one box and 1 TV.

Way to make the long-time customers happy, DirecTV!

7. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    If you only have -One TV & Receiver -How can they charge additional $36 a Yr for a service -that you can't and will not use? I would contact D* and ask that very question - then if not satisfied contact your local stat att office for more instructions. -just my thoughts.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If one has the receiver one has the fee. The lack of clients is "irrelevant". Charging people for whole home when they only have one receiver seems to be standard practice.

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Did you pay for the hardware? If not, then it was “free” you are paying for the service.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Why make some one waste their precious time? Is not like anything is going to come out of that...

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But, if it wasn't mentioned on the card that the fee was required, or disclosed on the phone when ordering, it should have been. Directv should be up front about it.

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Oh I bet it was. Is called fine print

13. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    And that's what I always do is read the fine print, no matter how simple it sounds, I don't like surprises
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvoPp6oyUq0

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Consider yourself in the minority…..

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    How long does it take to read license agreements? :)