1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30 sec skip with HR-20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by zzzzdoc, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzzzdoc

zzzzdoc Cool Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Looking to replace my HR10-250 Tivos. Looking at options.

Does the HR-20 have any way to do a 30sec skip. Back door approach or built in.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    There is no SKIP, like in the TiVo.
    There is the SLIP, which will FF at about 3x ~30s

No backdoor for it, just hit the forward advance (top right of the play button)

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It has a 30 second slip. Similar, but it is more like FF for 30 seconds. You can see what is being skipped. It takes about 1.5 seconds to advance the 30 seconds. You can also stack them to move ahead in 30 second increments.

Edit: Earl beats me again. I'm starting to get a complex....

4. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Or an approximation thereof. The timing of multiple "slips" still needs work.

5. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I recently requested that this be added to the wish list. No response yet. This is the only thing I miss from the HR10. Well Almost.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1005876&postcount=740

6. philslc

philslc Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    No, not yet.

7. Slyster

Slyster Icon

May 17, 2005
    I actually now prefer the FF slip vs. the skip.. it's really fast enough to be good.. and yet I catch quick glimpses of things I really want to know something about.. upcoming shows etc.

Don't fret it you will love it!

8. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    :welcome_s: to DBSTalk zzzzdoc!

Make sure you check out this thread in the HR20 Ordering and Installation forum to get your best deal - it's a long thread, but full of great suggestions and information:

What the Deals are, and what are you being told by CSR?

Also check out the Ordering and Installation forum for tips so you know what to prepare for and expect if up move to the HR20 - dish replacement, multiswitches, etc.

9. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    That why i'm suggesting a toggle setting in setup between slip and skip. This will make everyone happy. Now that FF autocorrection is fixed I quit using slip.

10. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    +1!

11. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Legend

Aug 27, 2006
    I've noticed when I'm watching a baseball game, I need about a 15 or 20 second skip - that's about the time it takes between pitches! :)

12. jheda

jheda DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 19, 2006
    thats so funny...i was wishing that last night ......it is perfect for football though

13. philslc

philslc Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    That's the nice thing about the Tivo 30 second skip. Hit the skip followed by the skip back and instant next pitch. :)

The 30 second slop on the HR-20 doesn't cut it.

14. zzzzdoc

zzzzdoc Cool Member

Jul 18, 2007
    What keystroke gets the "slip"?

Frankly, what I really miss is the old ReplayTV "Commercial Advance." One button push, and the commercial is gone, back to the show. But since it caused them to be sued into oblivion, I guess too dangerous a feature to be included.

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    So on a TiVo you are willing to hit SKIP, followed by a skip back...
    What is the difference then with SLIP... and hitting play or jump back...

Especially in those cases where it is more then 30s between pitches/snaps/ect ?

At least with the SLIP... you can SEE what it going on...

What if it was Mark Buehrle which can get two pitches in a 30s period...
    With a skip, you could see the end of a strike out, hit ball ect... before you could hit that jump back a few times...

16. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Slip is already enabled by default.
    It is the forward advance button... top right above play, between STOP and FF

17. Haps

Haps Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I was a little bummed when I first got my HR20 about losing the skip as well. But now a month later I have grown to like the slip instead.

18. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    This command is important to me. I prefer SKIP for commercials because it is instantanious. Simple as that. Hit the button 5 or 6 times real fast. Commercial done in 1 or 2 seconds. With slip or my now preferred 3x FF it takes 7 or 8 seconds. 4 times longer. For football I prefer 25 second instant skip and jump back as needed between plays. I just posted this request on the HR20 wish list. We need to be able to at least toggle this command in the setup. Slip/skip with variable time adjustment would be ideal for now with future remotes having both buttons optimal. Isn't there a tivo patent fee or workaround problem with skip?

19. psweig

psweig Hall Of Fame

Feb 4, 2006
    Amen

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I prefer slip. I think it's actually faster than 3x, slower than 4x. I'd rather take the roughly 2 seconds and see what I'm missing. Sometimes something catches my eyel.

I've got skip enabled on my R10 DirecTivo and when I have to use it, I find it a little jarring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.