1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30 second SLIP showing in banner

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gilviv, Oct 13, 2011.

1. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    Quote:
    from the thread 30 skip acting up

Originally Posted by gilviv
    For me it has been a different problem altogether, while using the 30 SLIP on last weeks "Terra Nova""and then "House" both on FOX the bottom part of the screen would freeze while the banner would SLIP forward. No ads or anything else were visible on the screen while SLIPPING other than in the banner area. These were the only recordings this happened too. Never seen this before.

This Monday's "Terra Nova" also had the same problem with only slipping in the banner area of the screen as opposed to the main area. Missed the "House" recording due to the over-run on the baseball game, however the recording of the baseball game functioned correctly with respect the 30Slip feature. Tried 2 seperate recordings today of my local FOX and neither showed the problem, will check tonight's X-Factor recording.

2. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    It happened again! When FF or 30SLIPing on a recording of "Terra Nova", "House", or now "X-Factor" all on FOX, I see the image slipping only on the top 1/4 of the screen(I call it the banner area) the other 3/4's remains black or locks on a part of the forwarding image but does not slip forward. OTA to the DVR produced the same results for those shows. Has not shown up on anything else LIVE or recorded other than the 3 mentioned shows. Is it a FOX problem? Ideas? Who fixes this?:confused:

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    This did not happen on my recording of Terra Nova. And it should not. I would reboot the DVR.

All digital TV stations build their transport stream slightly differently from each other, and it is early in the game so odd things can happen. That said, no two transport streams are more similar than any two FOX affiliates, all of who use MPEG splicers. This means that essentially a switch is thrown, meaning that what FOX sends all affils is "exactly" what goes on the air, with no local station intervention.

Yet not exactly; the local station PSIP and Nielsen data is muxed into that signal ahead of and is passed through the splicer even in network mode (which is recorded by your DVR but demuxed out at playback) so it is not completely identical from station to station, although the PQ will be.

Usually when there are problems like this it is related to the Program Time Stamp or PTS, which is metadata relating each frame to its temporal position in the stream, but no station PSIP/Nielsen data would likely mess with that, as that is part of the program stream as it comes from FOX and there would be no reason and likely no opportunity locally to futz with it.

But PSIP is very deep, about 3 people in the universe really understand it, and the standards manual is the size of a small Buick, so there could be something they are doing with the settings causing this. I would post this in the AVS reception forum for your city to see if it is unique to that station. If so, alert their Chief Engineer.

Very curious. Reboot, post back.

4. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=197841 MY ORIGINAL THREAD

I was able to recreate the problem: I recorded "House" on FOX twice, 1 from the D* feed off my locals, the other from the AM21(OTA) to my HR24-100 only the OTA recording has the problem described. It only happens on the FOX local channel(OTA), no other OTA network. :confused: