1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

30 skip acting up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SherSlick, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1 of 132
    SherSlick

SherSlick New Member

Feb 1, 2011
    To start I have the 30 second skip enabled.

But the other day I noticed something, while watching a recorded show I was skipping through the ads when I landed right on top of a D* ad. I could no longer hit the skip button. Then the next ad was a "you think dish has.." ad and I could not skip it either.

Fast forward worked fine no matter where I was in the recording, and once the D* ads were done I could hit skip again..

Anyone else notice this?

2. Sep 17, 2011 #2 of 132
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wouldn't doubt it. I was wondering when the software would disable the skip function for certain commercials.

Who knows, maybe soon whenever you try to skip commercials you will be forced to watch channel 100 instead and suffer through previews of DirecTV Cinema movies!!

3. Sep 19, 2011 #3 of 132
    bikenski

bikenski Cool Member

May 25, 2010
    Ran into this problem with a recording of last's night Top Gear episode (US version) on History Channel. The ads that couldn't be 30-second skipped appeared to be the new locally inserted ads. The fast forward button worked, but the skip button did nothing.

An additional data point - the recording showed 57 minutes (partial) even though the entire hour long show was recorded.

Hopefully this is simply a "bug" with the new local ad insertion, and not a sign that skipping ads will be disabled down the road.

4. Sep 21, 2011 #4 of 132
    SherSlick

SherSlick New Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Well a decent number of of them are un-skippable..

5. Sep 22, 2011 #5 of 132
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd be curious what it does if you toggle the key from "skip" back to "slip" by searching for keyword "30SLIP"...

When it's set to slip, you can press it multiple times. I wonder if it would start slipping and then stop when it got to the "unskippable" commercial. :confused:

6. Sep 23, 2011 #6 of 132
    kaszeta

kaszeta AllStar

Apr 8, 2008
    Okay, so it's not just me. I noticed during Top Chef Just Desserts that 30 second skip stopped on the D* ads.

7. Sep 24, 2011 #7 of 132
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    You know, if advertisers think that by paying DirecTV to force subscribers to watch their commercials it will ensure that their product will be purchased I think they are in for a surprise. Personally, I would NEVER EVER purchase anything advertised that forces me to watch a commercial for it.

Actually, I really don't mind the 30 slip which is the only "skip" function on my R15's-and occasionally I'll see something zipping by that actually interests me and I'll go back and watch the whole commercial. But it was MY choice!!

8. Sep 24, 2011 #8 of 132
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    So is Directv, if they think Im going to pay them if I cant skip commercials.

9. Sep 27, 2011 #9 of 132
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    So far everyone has said 30 skip are people seeing this also with slip or just skip?

10. Sep 27, 2011 #10 of 132
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's my understanding that this is an issue that was identified after the latest national release rolled out. It's not intentional and our friends at DIRECTV are working to nail it down.

My advice is to relax, there isn't a massive conspiracy to keep you from skipping commercials. It's just ... a boo-boo.

11. Sep 27, 2011 #11 of 132
    dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Phew, I certainly hope so. I was worried they may be testing the system in advance of the upcoming election year...

12. Sep 28, 2011 #12 of 132
    kaszeta

kaszeta AllStar

Apr 8, 2008
    I'm on 30-second skip. I may toggle it to slip to see if that affects it.

13. Sep 28, 2011 #13 of 132
    Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is a consequence of local ad insertion technology. If you think how 30 sec skip must work, it makes sense...

To jump 30 seconds forward, the software has to calculate the offset in the digital file that represents 30 seconds later. If the stream is redirected in to a different file, the offset becomes invalid and the playback drops back to the stream. This is why slip and fast forward still work, they follow the stream, not file offsets.

To fix this, they will have to look ahead on each skip and see if there is a local ad insertion coming, and recalculate offsets going in and coming back to the main file.

14. Sep 28, 2011 #14 of 132
    azphi

azphi AllStar

Apr 1, 2004
    I for one would not mind being forced to see certain commericals if it means less increases in programming.

I mean really, someone has to pay DirecT*; either the consumer or the advertiser.

LouPenya

15. Sep 30, 2011 #15 of 132
    bearcat250

bearcat250 Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    This has happened to me three times so far. The 30 second skip will not work at a certain point of a recording, a commercial of course, the fast forward works and the skip back works. The time last it hapened was during Jersy Shore recording from 9/29.

16. Sep 30, 2011 #16 of 132
    rdbcatcher

rdbcatcher New Member

May 27, 2009
    I've noticed this for awhile now. When the skip button is pushed, instead of skipping immediately ahead it will just fast forward though it. I complained to the CS and tech, but they said when the system installed the latest software upgrade, this was one of the perks that was removed.

17. Oct 3, 2011 #17 of 132
    racermd

racermd Legend

Dec 17, 2006
    Maybe it's the cynic in me, but inferring what was said above about this new skip behavior being a mistake and now your experience suggests to me that maybe - just maybe - D* is trying this whole "can't skip ads" thing out in a very limited sense while giving themselves room to back out gracefully should there be sufficient backlash or insufficient interest by advertisers.

The facts themselves are pretty interesting all by themselves. D* certainly has motive (a new source of revenue from advertisers, plus trialling it out with their own commercials), the means (the DVR software programmers), and the weapon (the DVR hardware, which are generally leased so they still own the box), so to speak.

Are there reasons why they *wouldn't* want to do something like this? Sure, conflict of interest being one at or near the top. But one seriously needs to look at the financial gain D* might enjoy by implementing this "feature" and compare that against any of those other reasons. Besides, when we, the subscriber, turn into the product being sold to the advertiser, our voices of displeasure and discontent tend to fall on deaf ears.

Personally, I'm expecting and dreading the day unskippable ads are implemented en mass. I fear, however, that the day is much sooner than I would have hoped.

18. Oct 3, 2011 #18 of 132
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    This line of thinking is absurd. The actual file on the DVR is no different than the file on every other DVR. The commercials are inserted dynamically on playback, triggered by markers in the stream. They are not stitched in during recording. The software is deliberately causing the commercial to be played back in full and unskippable form when the marker is detected.

19. Oct 4, 2011 #19 of 132
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    You might be able to restore the functionality by following the directions in this thread...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=178872&highlight=30+sec+skip+keyword

Your description is quite different from what this thread is discussing.

I've seen it twice tonight for the same "Sunday Ticket" commercial. Once during "The Ed Show" on MSNBC and the second time at the end of the NY/DET game on TBS.

I really hope Stuart is correct in stating this is a fluke in software programming. I do agree though...I could see this day coming many years ago. There is no way that free OTA broadcasting can survive in a world without commercials.

20. Oct 4, 2011 #20 of 132
    hdprice

hdprice New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Free? Not trying to be an ass but my D* tops $160 before rentals... We're paying handsomely. Skipping commercials should not be an issue when customers are paying at that level. TBH it wouldn't be unreasonable to have ads removed completely a la HBO..