1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

301-13 P203 First Look

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My older 301 finally got in range to take the new P203 software update.
    No noticable graphical changes. Must be something less cosmetic!

JL

2. Jul 1, 2004 #2 of 60
    kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    I got 203 4 days after I got 202

3. Jul 1, 2004 #3 of 60
    angiecopus

angiecopus Legend

May 18, 2004
    I still don't have anything. I don't think 2.01s will be upgraded.

4. Jul 1, 2004 #4 of 60
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I already posted this under a different thread today but since you guys are on the topic I will repost.

I talked to an E* ATSR last night and in discussion we discussed the 301's software because I recently flashed and appear to be having some very minor issues as a result. My 301/10 flashed from P225 to P226, Though I am not positive about the 301/13 at P201-P203 I believe the changes were very similar. The firmware update consists of: Super Diagnostics upgrade, Minor background color and logo changes, a fix for the timer scheduling bug that appears on back to back timer settings, a fix for the timer scheduling bug associated with PPV, and a fix for 121 locals pixelation and audio stream issues.

The upgrade is currently in phase 2. It goes widespread in phase 3.

I was also told the 811 will update in August.

Hope this helps,
    Jason :grin:

5. Jul 1, 2004 #5 of 60
    james39

james39 Legend

Dec 10, 2003
    still no fix for the 301.010 jittering picture (certain models only) awww.. -_- There was a *reason* I relegated that receiver to the bedroom! :p I bet this issue is being ignored, since it seems like only a few have this defect. I mentioned it casually to a csr one day amongst other issues I was having, and she said she'd never heard of such a thing :rolleyes:

6. Jul 1, 2004 #6 of 60
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...

No need to live with it. Do an express exchange of the 301. I did an exchange on an 3800 for a 301, exchange fee is something like $65, maybe higher now?

Just call up E* and tell them you have a bad receiver and want to do a express exchange. You pay the fee, they send you a receiver (refurb I think, but mine looked brand new), and then you send back your receiver in the same box the exchange came in.

Very painless, unless of course you sit on the exchange for more than 15 days or whatever the time limit for return is?

Jason

7. Jul 1, 2004 #7 of 60
    james39

james39 Legend

Dec 10, 2003
    bah, it's cheaper to go get a new box at the store. Anyway, I watch TV on the 501 more anyway, I'm keeping this 301 running though, since it runs good, and this is the only problem. Thanks for the advice though! :righton:

8. Jul 1, 2004 #8 of 60
    Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Price for a 301 for a current subscriber is dependent on your qualification score. The last time I checked, the 301 was offered to me for like $99 to purchase. And of course I believe your bound to another 1 year contract if you do so.

Jason

9. Jul 1, 2004 #9 of 60
    james39

james39 Legend

Dec 10, 2003
    yeah, but 1) I'm not leaving dish anytime soon, and 2) it's cheaper on ebay (I know, it's also riskier), and 3) I'm not planning on buying anything anyways, I was just mentioning a bug in the 301 which I'm betting will get fixed sometime, in software, since this seems a software issue.

Anyway, thank you for the advice. I already know all about dish's conditions and contracts. The likeliest time for me to go out and buy something new is when I decide to jump to HD, and sign up for a 921. For me, personally, that may be a year off.. since I'm still waiting for more content to be available in high definition.

10. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...

Understand...Oh just reading back to your post on jittery picture...what software rev are you at?

Jason

11. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    I got my 301 at Wal-Mart for $89 (without the dish)

12. james39

james39 Legend

Dec 10, 2003
    It's still on P2.25.. I'm anxiously awaiting for P2.26 to come in, if only for some new menus to play with :)

13. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Cool...But is that price for an existing subscriber? :grin:

Jason

14. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    angie ... lol - stop that! (that kinda "whining" type of talk) :)

2.01s WILL get (and some already got) these upgrades.. - WHEN the time is Right for Dishnet...
    Just read some other posts in this thread.. and learn the way this chit works..
    It's common practice by Dish.. to firstly test s/w (for as long as it takes, or as long as they feel fit) and then send it "widespread"

It's not like it's a matter of Life and Death anyhow :D

It's not like you are a "softwareLESS" (or something))) --------> Your current software is OK as well .. and fully operational

15. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Well...

Finally one of my 301-010s took the new P2.26

Some update .. i ll tell ya :)
    Took long time to get it.. (i think the longest ever)
    Surely different chit now..
    Expecially on Sys Info.. those 3 subscreens..
    Pretty Wicked stuff (justalurker exactly the same as your 301-013 pictures.. so as i thought this new P2.26 would be simular to your P2.02 ( oops 2.03 also i guess :) )

The guide i see didn't change..

But the menu screens and subscreens got a New Look as well... (maybe i didn't get used to the Menu's new look yet.. maybe it will grow on me with time passage.. but for now i am not sure if i like it any better then the old Menu's look)

But again - Sys Info - new look - is wicked :)

Oh ya.. i noticed - maybe if pull the card out.. the guide and EPG still works...
    and FTA channels maybe also - such as 101 or 580 etc..
    with NO need of a card.. (some strange stuff)))
    Would have to try and see again though.. - maybe was some type of a fluke...

P.S. Still not spooling "widespread" though... (my other 301-010 is still at P2.25)

16. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Dish had a 301 offer for some existing subscribers for $49 and you got to keep your old receiver. In some cases you can get just as much if not more for your used 2X00/3X00 receiver as you can get a used or new 3X1 receiver for.

17. angiecopus

angiecopus Legend

May 18, 2004
    I am not whinning, but i don't like it when people make a big deal about how they got certin stuff when alot of people don't even have it yet.

18. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Actually, that's whining, all right. Definitely whining.

19. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Angie,

And that's already - not only whining but being somewhat childish...

Suddenly it reminded me some kidergarten... where some girls are playing with dolls and others do not.. and upset about it...

But we are adults here...

Get serious.. Would not you rather know about something like that (some new software or hardware.. it's new features, outlook, pluses and minuses.. reviews, comments, etc .. than NOT know anything about it.. and just BLINDLY getting it some day...

This way at least you get familiar with it and it's features.. and by the time you get it, you d feel comfortable about it...

I, for one, would gladly hear comments from others (if they happened to get it before me)...

Like they ONLY gave it to me today.. where others had it already for couple of weeks or so..
    So.. I quietly waiting for it's arrival, participating in the threads about it, having some fun, making some jokes etc...

Put it this way - You ll get it! ( I promiss ;) )
    Sooner or Later.. - It will go "widespread" - it can't be too Long now!

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is no such thing as a 2.01s.

There is a Model 301-013 Dish Network Receiver that runs a software verison labeled P201 (among other prior software versions with less features). It remains a current software version.

Dish is currently testing on their subscribers with 301-013's P202 and P203 which both include the new Sysinfo and snazy look. They are also testing on subscribers with 301-010's the P226 software. They only test the new software versions to a couple million receivers at a time just in case real life finds bugs that bench testing missed.

(Actually dish limits the number of receivers downloading the new software versions to a couple million to decrease the drain on the satellite that carries the software. If too many receivers downloaded the same software at the same time it would crash the satellite and take HOURS to reboot. :grin: You'll just have to wait in the queue. :D)

Once they are happy everyone with a 301-013 will get P203 or its successor (if P203 isn't the final answer). And all 301-010's will get P226 or better. That's the way it works. (And as noted by others, your receiver still works. Don't be jealous that E* choose us as their guinea pigs instead of you!)

Oh, by the way, for the humor impared -- that paragraph about rebooting was a JOKE! :rolleyes:

JL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.