1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32-inch 4x3 Sony. Is it worth upgrading to the HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by purtman, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    We currently have an R15 on this box. Is it worth upgrading to an HR20? I have a 50-inch 16x9 and it looks great. I just wonder about on a 4x3. What are the issues in terms of stretching, LB, etc.?
    Thanks!

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Congrats on 1k

All you need to do is set the HR20 to 4x3 and 480i only and you will be good to go. All SD channels will look normal and the HD channels will be in letter box and only play at 480i but will look good.

But upgrading to the HR20 you will be able to get VOD when it is released. You will be able to use the media share option. You will have a larger hard drive.

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I agree with BMoreRavens. The HR20 will give you plenty of additional features even without going HD. A side benefit is that if you ever decide to upgrade your TV, you are already set.

4. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Thanks, guys! Also, BMore, thanks for pointing out the 1K. It tells me I have too much time on my hands that I spend on this site. :lol:

5. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Agree with the above posters. Plus, there are some (and will soon be more) HD channels that have unique content (i.e., aren't just mirrors of an associated SD channel). The HR20 will allow you to receive these on your existing SD TV.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Definitely agree. I use an HD receiver on a 20" SDTV and the picture quality from HD sources is great.

7. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    I have one on a 36" Sony in the Master Bedroom and the picture has never looked better. It looks like what DirecTV PQ was like back in the late 90's. Plus, the HD channels are letterboxed and show the correct aspect ratio. Even the wife commented on how good it looks and she could care less about the difference between SD & HD.

8. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Thanks. I realize I said Sony "32-inch". Yeesh! I meant "37-inch". Still, it sounds like a much better situation. Plus I can get HDNet in the bedroom.

9. marksman

marksman Godfather

Dec 23, 2006
    I added one of my new HR20s to an old 26" 4x3 HD set and it looks really good.

I am planning on replacing the tv soon, but I was impressed how well everything looks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.