1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by quack05, Jul 22, 2010.

1. quack05

quack05 Cool Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Just wondering why 3D HD is free and when Dtv first came out with HD I had to pay extra for it, and still pay for it though I got the free 24 months. So why are they not charging for the 3D channels they carry?

2. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    No demand for it. If 3D blossoms, so will the fees.

3. uwhumpty

uwhumpty Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    Sioux City, IA
    Here's my 2 cents, and you can take it for what it's worth.

Demand for 3D is very low right now, and from the looks of it, it will take a while to gain popularity (just look at some of the threads in this forum). I personally have a 3D tv, and I like it, and DirecTV's picture is pretty good. But, there is also very little content available. With low popularity and minimal content, charging for what they do have available would drive/keep customers away from the technology. Again, I like the 3D stuff, but if I had to pay for it, even just a few dollars, I probably wouldn't, just because there isn't much there to pay for.

On the other hand, HD was highly anticipated, and still is today. We all got spoiled with the initial Festivus in 2007, and have been craving more ever since. This can also be seen by looking at the various threads on this forum. I, and many others I assume, have the mindset that, once you see HD, you don't want SD anymore, and DirecTV knows this. With 3D, I find it fun to watch for certain things, but I could certainly live without it.

I understand that there was a charge for HD when it initially launched, even with the handful of channels, but at least those channels had new content day after day. The current 3D offerings are very limited in the amount of content that they show. If 3D ever takes off, I'm assuming there would be a charge, but I know I personally would not pay $10 a month, and I'm sure DirecTV knows this too.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    SHH! Don't give them any ideas....

I don't have a 3D TV but isn't there only a handful of channels?

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    IIRC, when I got my 1st HD set back in January 2001 there was no extra charge for HD channels (there was only 2 or 3 then).

Right now I'm guessing that Panasonic is footing part of the costs for 103 (n3D), 104 is the PPV's and 106 ESPN3D is only active when there's a program, like the part time RSN's. So probably this isn't costing them much at all at the moment.

There's also the chance that DirecTV might pull in some new customers that got a new 3D set and are not happy that Dish or their local cable company doesn't have any 3D channels, so DirecTV could be looking at this as a loss leader at the moment.

6. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    I don't think they should charge extra but they probably will. 3d is broadcast in HD and HD is supposedly free. Maybe it will fall under the category of the HD Extra pack.