1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3lnb Dish and HR21 - Should I get all my HD programning?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by flogduh, Jan 19, 2011.

1. flogduh

flogduh Legend

Nov 3, 2005
    Guys - I'm located in Los Gatos, Ca and have the 5lnb slimline dish for my house set up. I have an older 18 Inch x 20 Inch Triple LNB DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Dish Antenna (OD1820-BX) hanging around and was given an HR21 (owned box) that I want to activate on my account and put the receiver in the garage. Since I'd prefer to save a little cash and use this dish (I can't get to my house set up to hook in there), will this set up work or do I need a more recent dish type to support the MPEG4 HD transmissions?

Dan

2. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Correct. You need KaKu dish in order to receive any MPEG4 programming.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Unless the distances are great or the route represents a serious hardship, it would probably be easiest to run a cable (or two) from the house.

4. flogduh

flogduh Legend

Nov 3, 2005
    Thanks guys, trust me when I say running a cable isn't an option. Hardscape all teh way from garage to the house and the dish is on the other side of the house... I'll look for a used KU Dish

5. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    If you go on e-bay, you might be surprised by how cheap even new slimline Ka dishes are... ;) ;)

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Check your local craigslist. If you have a ladder, wrench, and a caulking gun full of roof tar there are always landlords and those lost to E* that love to have that huge slimline taken off the roof. I have gotten 3 this way, and two of them were already off the roof! :D

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You have a used Ku dish. You need a Ka/Ku dish.

8. flogduh

flogduh Legend

Nov 3, 2005
    When mentioned a used Ku dish, I really meant the slimline dish rather than the oval 18x20 HD dish I have.

9. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    No worries. The rest of the world got it. :rolleyes:

10. flogduh

flogduh Legend

Nov 3, 2005
    Great idea - the guy who gave me the receiver has two KA/U dishes on his house he no longer uses. I'll check there first..

11. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    :lol::lol::lol: