1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4/23 Local HD Captioning Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TMullenJr, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    It actually started on 4/19 when ER wasn't captioned. I thought it was a one-time thing, so I didn't make a big deal about it.

Last night, the following HD broadcasts were not captioned. I'm curious who else experienced this, and where are you located. I'm in CT.

CBS: New Adventures of Old Christine, King of Queens & CSI:Miami
    NBC: Heroes
    Fox: Drive & 24

The national channels are ok (HBO, Showtime, Discovery.....)

2. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm assuming these are MPEG4 channels, correct?

DirecTV must get their act together and get captions working via MPEG4. It may be how the local broadcaster is doing the compression, but these things have to work. HAVE TO.

3. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    I believe they are mpeg 4. For the most part, we've had good luck with the captioning. There have been occasional minor glitches, but I realize it's not a perfect system. But last night is just unacceptable.

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    One thing to remember is that CC has to be start correctly from the network, then the station before DIRECTV gets it.

I've been chasing our local NBC to straighten out Crossing Jordan on OTA for some time now. Its not DIRECTV's problem, as the HR20, HR10, and TVs are all showing the same garbles.

So we have to be cautious in blaming DIRECTV first. Just as with lipsynch, pixelation, dolby sound, etc; these may all in fact be at the station or network. HDTV is the 1950's and 1960s again for the stations--they are still learning the ropes of how this stuff works.

Cheers,
    Tom

5. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    That's why when it was ER last week, I didn't say anything. But three different networks on the same night??? Odds are leaning towards that being a D* issue.

6. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Can anybody else confirm whether they had captioning issues on Monday?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.