1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

4:3 television aspect ration problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ramy, Jul 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramy

ramy Banned User

May 18, 2004
    I have a 4:3 television and am using the HD Tivo. When I watch a HD program the picture is stretch top to bottom and I have tried everything as far a settings that shows in the book to use. Is there something wrong with my tivo or is that what is supposed to happen? The manual says it will fill the top and bottom with grey bars but it doesn't.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt Legend

Aug 14, 2003
    Northern...
    You need to have it set for a 4:3 ratio set and letterbox. The picture will be letterboxed on a 4:3 set to be able to see the entire picture.

3. ramy

ramy Banned User

May 18, 2004
    I have tried all the settings on the box and nothing seems to help. So have do you have a 4:3 set viewing the 1080i picture with the bars on the top and bottom.

4. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    HD should look just like a widecreen DVD on a 4:3 HDTV. You could always get a real HDTV with a 16:9 screen, and that should solve your problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.