1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4.47 Requires phone line for broadband ondemand movies?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by wmcneil, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmcneil

wmcneil Cool Member

Mar 25, 2006
    I ordered an on-demand movie last night, and it prompted me re-connect my phone line to the 622 in order to complete the order. So while the monthly connect seems to have been officially enabled over broadband, apparently the phone line is still required to order on-demand movies. Does anyone know why, and/or if this requirement is going to be removed in the future?

2. mscroggi

mscroggi AllStar

Jan 22, 2006
    I asked this question before because the small instructional video downloaded to the receiver kind of implied a phone line was needed.. But there were responses that users have ordered movies without the phone line attached.. You might do the connection test just to make sure the receiver is happy with your broadband connection..

3. wmcneil

wmcneil Cool Member

Mar 25, 2006
    My 622 is happy with the broadband connection (diagnostics menu shows the connection is ok, and I can upload the 622's status to dish with the phone line disconnected, and the movie played fine), so there is no problem with the broadband connection. When I ordered the movie, I had the phone line disconnected, and I was prompted to connect it in order to purchase the movie. Before I connected the phone line, I had tried to get it to purchase the movie at least twice with only the broadband connection, and each time it prompted me to connect the phone line.

One possible explanation is that the software thinks it has to use whichever connection method was used for the "Last Connect" (counter13).
    I had only recently disconnected the phone line, and I see that my "Last Connect" date was before I had disconnected the phone line. I'll try and leave my phone line disconnected to force the next "Last Connect" to use ethernet (it's about 9 days until a month will have gone by), then I can test to see if the on-demand will then purchase using only ethernet.

4. wmcneil

wmcneil Cool Member

Mar 25, 2006
    My counter13 now shows that my 622 connected successfully with the broadband connection (phone line was disconnected), and I was able to order a PPV movie last night without the phone line connected....I haven't yet ordered an ondemand movie or an online movie with the phone line disconnected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.