1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 Receivers in same room

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by 6tv's, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1 of 15
    6tv's

6tv's Mentor

Mar 1, 2008
    I have four old different brand receivers in the same room with MLB EI. This year, because of the lack of memory capacity in these boxes, Iam unable to view any of the games in the 700's where they always were. Now I must upgrade all of the receivers to the same DirecTV brand meaning they will all be affected at the same time. What exactly do I need to do to continue to separetly control each box without affecting another. I don't have Hi-Def but not sure if that really matters because Hi-Def boxes convert to standard and not really interested in a DVR model, so what model receivers will I need?

2. Apr 9, 2009 #2 of 15
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    They now have 8 assignable IR codes (the H and HR series HD boxes) as well as te SD r version box) as well as RF remote abilities. All of which allow for seperate functioning from remotes as to avoid the problem altogether...

3. Apr 9, 2009 #3 of 15
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yup, in order to get either individual RF capability or the IR codes you need to get any 'advanced' IRD. It won't work with SD boxes.

4. Apr 9, 2009 #4 of 15
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If you want to upgrade for MLB EI I would strongly suggest that you get R16 or R22 SD DVRs for lowest cost. But if your going to upgrade just go for 4HR2X HDTV DVRs with AU9-S SWM dish. You will be able to pause the games and replay plays that you might have only just seen, watching 4 games. Future TVs are going to be HD so you will be forced to upgrade as current TVs fail.

5. Apr 9, 2009 #5 of 15
    eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    For your purposes DVRs are a waste, you only need H2xs. I have two H20s and three H21s in the same room (each connected to its own HD TV). I use RF remotes for each receiver. My setup is for football games, not baseball, but the purpose is the same - several games at the same time!

6. Apr 9, 2009 #6 of 15
    6tv's

6tv's Mentor

Mar 1, 2008
    So the standard receivers (D12) won't allow you to use more than one in the same room without affecting the other? Only the HD boxes come with the ability to internally change the remote code? Thanks for your help with this, I think I'm beginning to understand.

7. Apr 9, 2009 #7 of 15
    RD in Fla

RD in Fla Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Sorry, have to ask. If you are as big a baseball fan as your 4 tv's in the same room suggests, why have you not upgraded to HD?

8. Apr 9, 2009 #8 of 15
    pressureman0

pressureman0 AllStar

Jan 3, 2009
    d12 only 2 in a room 2 code only

9. Apr 9, 2009 #9 of 15
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The D11 and D12 receivers support two IR codes, so you can have two in the same room running IR without cross-interference.

If you do not expect to be changing channels while you are watching an event (or if you are willing to get up and walk over to the receiver), you can cover the IR sensor on two additional receivers with opaque tape (such as black electrical tape) and run 4 (or more) in the same room with two being controllable by the remote and the others being controllable only by the front panel buttons.

As others have noted, if you go to the HD receiver, or to the SD DVR, then you gain the ability to use rf remotes. With the HD receiver, you get the ability for multiple IR codes.

10. Brannayen

Brannayen Mentor

Sep 7, 2008
    I understand how to set up rf remotes, but how do you set ir codes?

11. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    All Receivers branded DirecTV have at least 2 selectable IR codes and the newer ones have up to 8 with the recent firmware update.

If you have 2 receivers and want a different code for each then do the following:
    Press Menu on the remote
    Select "Parental, Fav's & Setup"
    Select "System Setup"
    Select "Remote"
    Select "Receiver Mode"
    Set one of the units to AV1 or AV@ while keeping one at the origional DirecTV mode.

The following is for The HD Receivers as this option was just added. You can do the same as above with 2 receivers; or if you have 3 or more receivers, then follow the below:
    Press Menu on the remote
    Select "Parental, Fav's & Setup"
    Select "System Setup"
    Select "Remote"
    Select "Advanced Setups"
    Then press - (dash) on remote to contuinue to the advanced IR setup for people with multiple receivers to operate with different IR codes for each up to a total of 8.

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    On the receiver, go into remotes and follow the options and prompts.

On the remote, move the slider switch to the applicable position (AV1 or AV2), push and hold the select and mute button until the green LED flashes twice. Enter 00002 or 00003 (or 00004, 5, 6, etc.) to program the remote to the additional code(s). The D11, D12, R15, R16 use 1 and 2. The H2x and HR2x series use 1 and 3, and have now been enabled to use 4, 5, 6, etc.)

13. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    I respectfully disagree. Pausing and rewinding multi-sports viewing is a big plus. We have 6 HDTVs and 6 HDDVRs in our den and when watching different games simultaneously, there seems to always be a spectacular play or two that you just happen to catch the tail end of.

With a DVR, you have the capability of hitting the replay button (or rewind back a few seconds more) to see the play again in real-time speed and as many times as you wish. Then, when you are done (or when a commercial comes), you can fast forward and catch up to "Live" action.

14. Ryan

Ryan Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Does that mean that one remote can easily control three H/HR2x devices just by moving the slider (after initial programming, of course)? DTV/AV1/AV2?

That could be quite handy for Sunday Ticket!

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes, it does.