1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4-way or larger splitter will work?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by shadough, Jul 17, 2012.

1. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Can you use a larger than 2-2ay splitter for the joeys? 4-way for example? I can't see why not but thought I'd ask.

2. komondor

komondor Mentor

Jul 23, 2011
    not sure what or why you are asking, my installer put in all new splitters, you can't split a signal to send to a TV you need a Joey or Hopper for each you could in theory split the HDMI and send it to another room

not the best picture but it is dark and I took it using my cell phone

Attached Files:

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Not sure what a 4-way splitter would gain you... since each Hopper supports 3 Joeys...

You *could* use a 4-way splitter... but you'd be wasting a "way" since you couldn't connect a Joey to it.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    By the book the "host" feed from the hub to a Hopper can be split (using a "tap") to feed one Hopper and one Joey, the "client" feed from the hub can be split (using a splitter) to feed two Joeys. Any more than that and you're outside the book.

I'm sure that someone somewhere has cascaded four way splitters purchased in 1980 feeding 16 locations and "everything works fine". OK, perhaps that is an exaggeration. The more you split the signal the less signal gets between the Hopper and Joey and the more likely you will have a problem.