1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$40 Cheesecake

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 7, 2007 #1 of 27
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    QVC is currently hawking a $30 'Strawberry Swirl Christmas Cheesecake, payable iin
    three easy CC payments of only $10, plus another $10 S&H. Un-freakin-believeable!

First of all, who, in their right mind, :icon_stup would spend 40 bucks on a cheesecake by mail,
    and even more telling of the typical mentality of avid QVC shoppers, is that if they can't
    afford to pay the full price, they can spread payment over three months, long after the cake
    is gone!

Is it just me? :scratch:

2. Dec 7, 2007 #2 of 27
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    My question is what are you doing watching QVC sell a $40 cheesecake? ;)

3. Dec 7, 2007 #3 of 27
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    i wonder if they have layaway for cheesecake?? :lol:

in all honesty... that sounds like something my wife would buy... lol... the more it costs the better it is... right??

4. Dec 7, 2007 #4 of 27
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think you have seriously underestimated the cult of QVC.

5. Dec 7, 2007 #5 of 27
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    At least it isn't a fruit cake!!! :)

6. Dec 7, 2007 #6 of 27
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I knew some smartypants would catch that!

Truth is, QVC is my reference channel for PQ in my analog tier, and I happened to be
    doing a side-by-side comparison of PQ between the direct cable input to one of my
    HD displays and the same channel though the SA 8300HD DVR, but in the interest
    of full-disclosure, last month I did catch a real deal on a new Garmin nuvi widescreen
    GPS, and yes, it was on easy-pay for only 6 @ $45! The fact that I spent nearly $100
    on accessories for the nuvi is immaterial and beside the damn point! :p

At least it wasn't a freakin' cheesecake! :lol:

7. Dec 7, 2007 #7 of 27
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Never got the cheesecake, but we do order a lot of food from QVC and have it on autoship. The Kansas City Steaks, KC Steak Burgers, Corkys Wings, Nathans Hot Dogs, all excellent, especially on the grill. The steaks and steak burgers are pretty expensive, but well worth it and you get a decent amount. I'd like to try the ribs they have on. Only thing I didn't care for was the BBQ chicken included in the Summer Party Sampler pack they offered last year. The candy apples they sold last year during Christmas were pretty good as well.

8. Dec 7, 2007 #8 of 27
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Gee, Steve! You can get Nathan's hot dogs at Wegman's and Wal-Mart. And you can get excellent wings at the Anchor Bar, and excellent steaks at Wegman's as well. Why, then QVC? :D

9. Dec 7, 2007 #9 of 27
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
  10. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
  11. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    How bout a $500 bottle of wine with that cheesecake...

uuummmmm.....

12. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    or a $100 bottle of tequila

13. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I have rare and pure Oregon Spring tap water I can sell for $50 a bottle.:up_to_som

14. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    IMO, the Kansas City Steaks from QVC cannot even touch the best cut of meat from Wegman's. The Anchor Bar and La Nova's are great for wings, no doubt about that, they're staples of WNY, but Corky's BBQ is different. You can go anywhere around here and get Buffalo Wings, but for decent southern BBQ, it's Corky's.

I could go to some fancy dump that requires a suit and tie to enter and pay $50 for a piece of meat the size of a silver dollar. Or 60oz of steak for $64 plus shipping in the comfort of my own home.

15. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    How do I put this... admittedly a $40 cheesecake should be reserved for a special occaision, however trust me... if you ever taste a $40 cheesecake you will understand...

It definitely isn't Sara Lee.

16. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I've got a great dirty joke right now I wish I could tell. [​IMG]

17. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    You have no idea. I live in West Chester, PA - home of QVC HQ (I'm within walking distance of their studio). I'm originally from northern, NJ, but I moved down to this area when I got married (my wife is from the area). At my wedding, all my relatives asked me the same question "where are you guys going to live?" When I said "Oh, we bought a house in West Chester" the response I got was ALWAYS the same "oh, you mean by QVC!" Most of my family is addicted to that channel. Wonder why DirecTV (and other providers) have so many shopping channels? They're HUGE business. Last year we took my son's cub scout den on a tour of QVC as one of their outings. While everyone was taken by the studio and all, I kept looking at the displays that they had set up - including some of the 'data' they posted. Things like the item that sold the fastest (and how many units they sold). Stuff like that. The numbers I saw just staggered me. I knew they were big, but I had no idea just HOW big.

18. Terry740

Terry740 AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    I have all of these channels blocked. I prefer to do my shopping at the malls about ten am. The stores are full of middle aged women at this time.

19. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    All of my moms Christmas gifts came from QVC now three years in a row. I really don't see why this is considered bad. It's just like ordering from Amazon, it's just that QVC happens to broadcast on TV. Last year when I was in the studio audience at QVC, I thought it was going to suck, but I really did have a great time, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

20. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Steve try the Deep Fried Turkeys from QVC next time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.