1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40" Plasma + RCVR

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Stabuddy123, May 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stabuddy123

Stabuddy123 Guest

I install for a DNSC retail company in Middle America. We cover 4-5 states, and my boss recently went to Atlanta to resign his contract with Dish. When he returned, he told us about the 322's and 522's. But also mentioned something about a promotion that would include a 40" plasma flat screen tv and a receiver for $1400 installed. I didnt get any specifics at the time, but wanted to see if any of you had hear this.

2. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    I've heard rumors and seen potential ad posters, seems a little hard to believe.

3. american_2000

american_2000 Mentor

May 16, 2003
    I can't see a plasma being sold in a package for $1400. I install plasmas and even the cheap ones run about $3000-$4000. Maybe the company providing the plasmas are taking a hit to promote them. But as for hearing about the promotion, no haven't heard anything.

4. Ken_F

Ken_F Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 13, 2003
    starbuddy,

The reports have it as a Superdish, 811 HDTV receiver, and either a 34" 16x9 directview or a 40" 16x9 projection set for $1499. It's not clear at this point whether the type or design of the 40" screen has been finalized, but it almost certainly will not be a wall-hangable plasma.

5. homergreg

homergreg Cool Member

May 3, 2003
    The plasma's that are in the 3000 price range now are 480p sets anyway. Not much of a showcase for HD. I would be thrilled to see a directview 34" 16:9 with superdish for that price. It might be possible as prices for these televisions fall.

IMHO, it's going to be a rear projction model. That's a very good price for one including a satellite and ota tuner, and it sounds feasible.

6. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    This sounds like an excellent price. Checking today's prices at Best Buy, the cheapest 16:9 34" direct view set is a Daewoo for $1499 & the cheapest 40"+ RPTV is a Toshiba 42" 16:9 for $1399 or a Panasonic 47" for $1399.

7. toddjb

toddjb Legend

May 7, 2002
    Great idea. An HDTV all-in-one package for people that don't want to put one together on their own. All they need is a surround sound receiver/speaker option and they'd be in the home theatre business!

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    hehe. Don't knock the 42" EDTV plasmas. I picked up a Panasonic 42" ED model, and I am very pleased with it.

9. homergreg

homergreg Cool Member

May 3, 2003
    Sorry there, not knocking edtv plasmas intentionally. They do give a very nice 480p picture. I just don't see E* selling them as part of a HDTV package. Could you imagine the lawsuits from those purchasing the sets as part of a "HDTV" package?

10. SatBuddy123

SatBuddy123 Mentor

Feb 18, 2003
    Could someone explain to me a little what the deal is with "Superdish" I havent seen a Charlie Chat in a long while and have been working in our St Louis office for a while. Also, what is the deal with a plasma not being very good for HD? Kinda new to the HD game. But wanting to learn

11. Tony Trent

Tony Trent Mentor

Nov 28, 2002
  12. Ken_F

Ken_F Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 13, 2003
    Sat,

There is nothing wrong with plasmas. However, the $1499 setup will not include a wall-hangable plasma. Also, in general, the lower-end expensive wall-hangable plasmas (those <$3500) offer only limited resolution for HDTV. A plasma capable of full 720p HDTV resolution will probably run you over $5000.

For more information on the Superdish, as well as Dish Network's upcoming HDTV Hardware, see this link.

13. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    So its almost like getting a free HD receiver when you purchase a HD projection tv. Does not sound like a bad deal to me, especially seeing the prices of the HD receivers. Maybe they could offer some type of deal to the electronic chain stores like this to get this rolling better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.