1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

480p Crop Formatting Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by PoitNarf, Feb 11, 2007.

Have you experienced extra vertical stretching with the 480i/p Crop format?

1. Yes, and it ruins Battlestar Galactica!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nope, never seen it

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I already posted this in the issues thread, but I felt it necessary to start a thread of it's own.

When watching Battlestar Galactica on Sci-Fi tonight, changing the format to 480p Crop caused extra vertical stretching of the image. Cycling through the formatting options several times did fix it this time, but usually when I have this problem it will not go away. I am unsure if this happens with 480i Crop.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I want to bring as much attention to this problem as possible so it can get addressed by D* asap.

2. jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
  3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Yeah, saw your other posts. Looks like you're watching BSG in 720p or 1080i from your previous posts. Is this correct? I'm interested to see if this occurs with all resolutions and is purely a formatting problem.

4. jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I tried it in 480p and the problem was the same.

5. SuperTech1

SuperTech1 Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    I have seen it and voted yes but it wasn't for BSG. On letterbox shows(SD) I often use the crop mode. I'd say about half the time it goes into the vertical stretch mode. As previously reported I can usually get it to act correctly by cycling through the different format modes. Once I get it correct it stays that way all the way through the show. BTW I use 1080i only Native On.

Also this has been discussed before:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=69821&highlight=crop+mode

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=70472&highlight=crop+mode

6. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    Thanks for finding my thread I started about this. Saved me some time.

I also saw the post in the issues thread and I responded in there too.

I haven't seen it in awhile (meaning maybe a few days), but it does seem to come and go for a few days at a time. It would be interesting to see if mine started doing it again today. I'll let you know when I get home.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I voted yes but I would like to explain -

Technically I have not seen this exact bug but I have been having this same behavior with 1080i Crop on and off since about November. This release seems to have solved it for me, but I'm saddened to hear that others are having it for the first time.

I am curious if anyone who has this issue is having it with component cables since I can't test that.

In the past I've been able to get this to go away by using native mode (of course) or... if I switch to a channel which is not showing letterbox (in other words, full-frame SD) and then put the DVR in crop mode, then it seemed to be ok for a while.

This has been most noticeable for Mythbusters and Battlestar Galactica.

8. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Yeah, this happens to me with Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs on occasion too. The preferred solution for me would be for these shows to be broadcast in HD since they are shot in HD, but I guess we have to wait until the new sats go up before that will happen. In the meantime, D* please look into this!!! :D

9. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    Mods, if you're reading, this thread should be merged with this thread. They are talking about the same thing and it would be best to keep them together.

Funny, I just saw your post in the other thread asking for the merge too :)

10. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    This had been one of my #1 problems with the unit since last october or so. But for me it is 1080i crop. After a RBR I am fine until an unspecified amount of trick play. Then wham. Trick play toggles between extra verticle and proper aspect. It does not matter if I use HDMI or componant, or what the resolution is.

Actually I am glad you did this poll.

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006

IIRC, BSG is shot in HD but Mythbusters is shot in SD but cropped.

12. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Unless you try a trick play or something correct. If you never have to do a 30 slip for a comercial, I would agree with you. Trick play will toggle it back and forth.

13. jediphish

jediphish Godfather

Dec 3, 2005
    I didn't vote because I saw the problem with 480i. Haven't seen it lately, and even when I did, if I cycled the aspect ratio modes, or used a Cruise Control (trick play) function, it often would toggle between proper crop and double vertical crop, so that I could usually get it right with enough presses of enough buttons.

14. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    OK so it is obvious that the poll needs to be about the verticle stretch in any resolution. I will see if I can start one :lol:

15. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
  16. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    But that poll is flawed in that I've seen it with 2 resolutions, so it should have been multiple choice. Or really, it should just say, have you seen it using crop with any resolution as I saw no difference when using 480p or 720p with SD material.

17. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    What, you don't like my thread? :lol:

Yeah, we need to keep this to a single thread. Mods please clean these up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.