1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

4k Receivers?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by kevinturcotte, Mar 15, 2012.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    My Onkyo A/V receiver has died, and I need to replace it. Now kinda seems like a bad time to get a new receiver though, with 4k resolution on the horizon. I'm wondering if there are any receivers out there that are capable of dealing with a 4k resolution though? Much rather purchase one of these and be future proof (For awhile, of course lol).

2. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
  3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Probably need to wait until they come out with a 4K monitor, and release specs, but HDMI switching is switching. If 4K is so great, it shouldnt need any processing, nor would I want to introduce anything of the sort in my path...

4. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I guess processing was the wrong word. I want it to accept a native 4k signal and pass it unmolested to my 4k display (But also be able to downconvert to 1080p until I upgrade to a 4k Tv).

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I would submit, that given the past, the receiver/satellite box/cable box will be the one responsible for downconverting, and you should not need any external device to do any more than switching. I dont see DirecTv coming out with a receiver that outputs 4K with no way to output it at 1080 as well. It just doesnt play into their previous record on new equipment. Every box to date, has had backwards compatability at LEAST one step backwards, and usually two steps backwards.

6. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I know, but I wouldn't want to get an A/V receiver that could ONLY output a 4k signal. Just let me select (My Tv supports x, y, and z). Then when I finally upgrade to a 4k Tv, I don't have to do out and buy ANOTHER A/V receiver for 4k resolution.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Then just make sure you get one that has pass-through switching.
    Im not up on the specs for HDMI 1.4a, but if it can handle that resolution/bitrate, then you should be ok. Now if they are going to have to come out with a new HDMI spec for it, then nothing today will work.

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Are you really purchasing electronics based on what "might" be an affordable technology in 4-5 years?

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
  10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I wouldn't say it wise idea to buy 4k AV box for future deployment. Absolutely immature idea.
    You should slip on it a couple years before shell your money.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    HDMI 1.4 supports 4K

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    4k content in any quantity and delivery of it....is probably 3+ years away. Many of us learned that first hand at CES 2012, as confirmed by at least 5 different manufacturers there.

So I'd agree it's premature to invest in hardware at this point.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Or even actually worry about buying something today, because it will probably be time for a new one by the time 4k is a reality for us to actually be getting it from broadcasters.

Heck there arent even that many 4k theaters in the country yet. When in Chicago I go to one called movieco...the PQ is fantastic.

14. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    The way everybody's been talking, I thought hardware might actually be out soon this year (And maybe already out). I realize there isn't any content there yet (Well, that we can get our hands on).
    So just look for HDMI 1.4 ports and be done? Any differences between 1.4, 1.4a, and 1.4b?

15. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Who knows, you may actually need to replace the new A/V receiver before 4K is affordable.

16. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    True. This one only lasted 2 years. Like to get more time out of the new one though!
    Is there anything big looming on the horizon, tech wise, in say the next month or 2 that would be worth waiting for?

17. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009

What model Onkyo did you have? Maybe take it and get it repaired.

18. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    It's the Onkyo TX-NR5007. It's already been repaired 3 times under warranty for the SAME problem, and now it's happened a 4th time. They said it's gonna be close to $500 to get it fixed. They said it's a known hardware issue, so it will probably keep happening.

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    No more Onkyo for you I hope.