1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

4th Gen iPad?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by trdrjeff, Oct 23, 2012.

1. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Didn't see than coming

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Me neither. I was expecting maybe a refresh of the 3rd generation, like they did with the 2.

3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I brought my first IPAD about a month ago. Let me know when they get to the 10th Gen.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, it really is a refresh when you think about it. The new one has the Lightning adapter so it comes into line with the new iPhone and they increased the speed of the wifi adapter. Nothing major when you think about it.

- Merg

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The new A6X processor is pretty major, to me.. that dwarfts the adapter and wifi/cellular updates.

6. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    doubled the CPU. A6.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Ahhh... Missed that...

- Merg

8. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Yea, I like the mini better. Just wish it had "retina" display. Soon as I saw that one I put my 32GB black iPad 3 VZW up for sale (shameless plug for the for-sale forum post).

9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You may do better on Gazelle or Amazon. . . I just sold our iPhone4s for $165 each.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't see the point in the mini at that price point.

IF you mostly (or solely) want to read books... a Kindle is nearly half the price of the cheapest iPad mini still.

IF you want to do more than read books (and yes, I know the Kindle has apps too just not as many)... then I wholeheartedly recommend the full-size iPad instead.

I just don't see the market for a Kindle-sized device at nearly twice the price.

For the money, you might as well get a full size iPad instead... otherwise get a Kindle.

Or am I missing something?

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    My offer was $185 for a 32 gb wifi ipad2. Much easier to do that to get a new phone at $200 than still pay another $300+ for an iPad. I'll wait until they stop releasing iOS versions.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Maybe, maybe not. I'd put pretty good money on Apple's marketing expertise, though.

13. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    I was on the iPad mini bandwagon for sure. The size was what I hoped the original iPad would be. However, the lack of an anti-glare screen like the one on the iPhone 5 could be a deal breaker for me. I've been considering getting the Kindle Paperwhite instead. I love my iPad 2, but it's just too big for me to hold comfortably and read for any length of time...

14. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    $165! Yikes. I'd have bought one for that price. Gazelle is crazy low but they do give cash where Amazon is MUCH higher but you only get Amazon credit which isn't horrible but I'd prefer cash. Amazon offer is $580 for an iPad 3 32 gig Verizon which really is quite good vs under $300 (edited from $350) from Gazelle and the chances they find something wrong with it and reduce the payment is quite high as that seems to be their "modus operandi". The $350 was for "virtually new" condition.

15. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I thought I heard a statement that the mini's screen was 75% less glaring (glareful??) than the iPad2, due to it being laminated to the display. But I wasn't paying full attention to the presentation, which certainly dragged in parts.

16. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    So Ipad 3rd Gen is discontinued while the iPad 2 is still going to be available? Really odd

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If you're gathering that from my post, it ain't so! A few references were made to the '2, comparing screens and resolution, but I didn't hear them say the '2 was going to be offered. OTOH, I didn't hear them say it wasn't. ....:eek2:

18. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The Apple website only shows the iPad2 , iPad Mini, & the iPad with Retina Display (iPad 4) available.

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Confusing, as the "iPad", (3-ish) the one I got months ago, is also a retina display....

20. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    I wasn't able to give it my full attention either. Someone came to the door at the worst possible moment. If that's the case, I'm on it. I'll have to watch the presentation again on my Apple TV! Thanks a bunch! You've made me feel hopeful. <g>