1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

5.1 Earthquake Shakes LA Just after 9 PM

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Mar 29, 2014.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Story in the LA Times. This one was located just east of Sonora High School in La Habra, California. You can click on the maps to see bigger ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While a 5.1 in this urban area is nothing to joke about, it apparently was shallow though it was on fault that caused the 5.9 1987 Whittier quake that killed 8 and caused considerable damage. The kids at the high school were on spring break this week, so hopefully nothing was going on there.

2. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    KTLA video indicating some damage.

[youtubehd]x2zocxOks_c[/youtubehd]

Live coverage at KTLA.

3. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Felt it down in Carlsbad, CA.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    It really was a nothing event, very little damage and such, but I nice reminder of what to do in case of an earthquake.

the 87 was my first big quake. I'll never forget that, it was much much bigger. But it was the noise it made, and especially the big aftershock the next morning around 5am in the dark that was so loud that was a bit scary.

I felt the one we had the other day,but I didn't even feel this one. And it hit my area harder than the one last week did. But I Was in the shower. :lol:

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It appears there is some potentially costly damage such as apartments with cracked foundations. Apparently Fullerton felt the quake more according to this report:

Then there was this story:

Somehow a four-second warning doesn't seem like much. But I guess it would be better than nothing.

And now they're talking about the incident as an earthquake swarm. The OC Breeze had a story and a map:

[​IMG]
    Map of earthquake swarm courtesy of USGS.​
    The wide white line on the right is the 57 Freeway.​
    The wide white line at the bottom is the 91 Freeway.​
    The diagonal line in the lower left corner is Interstate 5.​
    The swooping white line at the top is the 60 Freeway.​

I've always tried to visualize being "swarmed" by earthquakes. :eek2:

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    A 5.1 is Wayne Knight falling out of his chair.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Four seconds is enough to give high speed rail a head start on stopping ... although it would need to be an automated system which would leave a vulnerability for hackers to stop all high speed trains. Perhaps nuclear power plants could also use a few seconds of secure warning. If the pre-alert could be extended it would be better.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This was barely a story. A water main broke, a gas line started leaking. For most people the biggest effect was a few things tipped over on a shelf. If this had taken place in Minnesota you would never know about it. I felt it, I sure did, but it wasn't 'the big one.'

9. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    It was a rough jolt in some areas near it because it was so shallow. Only about a mile deep.

And 4 seconds is huge especially if it's a big one. Lucy's best example; Surgeons can pull their instruments and stop Cutting on a patient in four seconds. Also people can duck and cover under desks or get into doorways.

Doesn't mean much for small earthquakes of anything five and half or less. But you're talking a six or seven 4 seconds could be huge.

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ok, I'm convinced we need a system in California. From Mexico earthquake: Video captures early-warning alert before shaking:

While I'm too slow to benefit from a 4 second warning, even a 15 second warning would permit an old guy like me to get to a safe spot. And the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake did a lot of damage in our area with an epicenter over 100 miles from here. We Californian's are behind Mexico in earthquake safety. That news is as disturbing as ... an earthquake. :sure:

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    At 15 seconds, I'd still be trying to figure out what the noise was.

12. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    [​IMG]

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I meant to post this yesterday which was the 108th Anniversary of the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. From our local newspaper's Facebook page:

[​IMG]

There is some disagreement on the epicenter location but it's safe to say that the hotel was at least 120 miles from the epicenter.

14. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    The 1994 earthquake, which damaged my home, woke me up but I was still in bed for some time after the shaking ended. Four seconds or 15 seconds would not have helped. I would have needed a couple minutes.

Still a good idea for those who are awake at the time, especially those surgeons...

15. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    No kidding! A 5.1 is nothing!

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati