1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 LNB Slim Line Dish Install Help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by maine-directv, Dec 7, 2008.

1. maine-directv

maine-directv New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Hi,

Looking for some tips, advice, etc. for installing a Slim Line 5 LNB dish. If anyone has done this or if there are any good write-ups I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
  3. maine-directv

maine-directv New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    thanks. sounds much more complicated than i had anticipated however it does offer some nice features over my old setup.

4. clb4g9

clb4g9 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    It's not as bad as you might think, although the first time you install one of these it can be a bit daunting.....download the manual there after you watch the video and follow the directions quite closely and you'll be fine. Are you using a handheld signal meter or the signal meters in your receiver?

5. peevy

peevy Cool Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Forget the 5 lnb,, get the new Slimline 3 or swm 3. You can just fine tune the 101 and be done with it.

6. jhillestad

jhillestad Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    Same dish different lnb so I think you still need to fine tune (dither) the main advantage is just one cable run....

7. Greyshadow2007

Greyshadow2007 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I think he was referring to the Slimline3 or the SL3S (Slimline 3 with SWM.) Either LNB should not require any fine-tuning beyond peaking 101 (99/103 should fall into place based on pre-set tilt at the back assembly.) The reflector and back assembly should be identical between the Slimline3 and Slimline5, though.

8. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    I did mine on my own, and I am certainly NOT the handiest guy around. (my wife will vouch). Its not as hard as it looks, here is what I did (basic instructions):

Watch the install videos to get an idea of what you are up against

Go to www.dishpointer.com and make sure where you want to mount the dish will actually be able to get some signal. Note the dish settings as well (direction, elevation and tilt)

Mount the mast. Make sure it is LEVEl and PLUMB, or you are gonna have the added headache of all those earlier mentioned settings being off. The mount includes a bubble level, but I recommed using an external one, that bubly one is only so accurate.

One the mast is level and plumb, add the monopoles to either side and mount them. (These are needed to keep the dish steady)

Run your cables if not already done. Connect to dish.

Mount the dish.

Set the elevation and tilt to the right settings.

Have someone sit in front of your TV who can read the signal meters. I used our cordless phone to communicate with this per (ours will intercom to each other) but many others have used cell phones.

Using the signal meters, get the 101 sat sighted in and as high signals as you can.

Using a combination of dithering and/or trial and error, get the 103 and 99 sats aligned in. (Use the fine tuning nuts for this, a little bit goes a LONG way). Remember, the higher you can get the 99 and 103, the more resistant to rain/snow fade your signal will be. (99 and 103 are your HD stuff, which precip kills the quickest)

I found that once those 3 (101, 103 and 99) were in correctly, the other sats (119 and 110 I think, doing this from memory at work) had good signal levels and aside from guide stuff, don't do anything in my market so I didn't stress)

Once you are all sighted in, make sure you TIGHTEN everything down, if you forget a fine tuning bolt or two, the first good wind is gonna have you back up with your dish. (I speak from personal experience in this one, amazing how much a dish will move if you don't tighten things!)

Put your tools away, and take your signal meter reader out for a beer/dinner, because they have spent the last 30 min listening to you say "what does it say now? How about now? now? " and are probably really sick of ya. =)

Sit back and bask in the D* glory!

There are more details instructions out there, and this is really a basic guide, but should give you an idea of what you are up against. The aligning part isn't that hard, the video's kinda make it look worse then it really is. Just be patient and remember to make LITTLE adjustments, a 1/4 turn on those fine tuning bolts is usually PLENTY to make the signal go from 60% to 85%.....

Good luck, this forum is great if you run into problems!!!!!

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The ONLY step that is skipped when using an SL3 vs. an SL5 is loosening the tilt and peaking 119. Everything else, including the dithering to fine-tune 99/103, applies to both.