1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 new channels

Discussion in 'Sky Angel (Closed Forum)' started by rcwilcox, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcwilcox

rcwilcox Godfather

Jan 20, 2003
    OK here is what SA is saying they are going to do:

"Sky Angel is in the process of launching 5 new television channels in response to an overwhelming number of requests for more family-friendly programs, a movie channel, and general interest channels that offer important information to viewers such as news, weather, or home improvement."

Ok here our my questions
    1 Assuming Fox is the News channel and Hallmark plus Hallmark movie are two more can we assume that maybe DIY and The Weather Channel will be the other 2?
    2 Does this mean 4 more existing channels will be gone to make room for these 4?
    3 If these are really adds where is the bandwidth to come from?

2. mattb

mattb Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    Interesting note. No one knows if FNC and the other 4 channels coming soon will be "included" in the current package. I got a feeling that the FNC on the old INSP spot is just a "teeser" and that either the skyangel package will go up in price for the 5 additonal channels or it will be billed seperately as a "family enterainment package"...

3. rcwilcox

rcwilcox Godfather

Jan 20, 2003
    In the survey where they mention the 5 channels they ask how much you will be willing to pay for a package with these extra channels in it. I wonder if that means there will only be one SA package or if they are still studying that.

4. RJS1111111

RJS1111111 Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Maybe they're fixin' to stop leasing a transponder to DISH, so that they'll have enough bandwidth to carry the additional channels. Or maybe an unused former Rainbow transponder could be acquired? Could SA be planning to acquire R1 outright?

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    1 - fair assumption. Hope they are included (probably won't be)
    2 - I hope not. I paid for 36 Christian oriented channels, not 35 plus FNC or (shudder) 31 plus 5 'secular' networks.
    If they did pull channels, it would be 15 Christian video, 16 Christian audio and 5 secular video - and for those who get those secular channels elsewhere it is a complete waste of space.
    I expect part of a third transponder will be opened to SkyAngel programs.
    3 - The third transponder. :) SkyAngel holds license to 8 TPs and E3 can actually transmit on seven of the eight. As long as it is only 4 or 5 channels E* can squeeze them in.

$2 more for the new channels would be the highest acceptable price for me, and that is being generous. I believe annual subs should get them for free.

JL

6. rcwilcox

rcwilcox Godfather

Jan 20, 2003
    All good points and I too think thet will not pull 4 channels to make room and hopefully they won't squeeze 4 more on the existing transponders. From their questionare where they asked how much would you consider fair and what number would stop you totally I am sure they plan on charging the monthly and annual folks--not sure about lifers like me

7. mattb

mattb Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    I doubt they will pull anything, I forsee DISH doing some shuffling, moving an xponders worth of programming to another R1 transponder and then letting skyangel use that.. I dont think E* and SA's relationship is going south anytime soon, they depend on each other too much, E* likes those transponders that SA is letting them use and SA likes the resources (Uplink and Bird)

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  9. tsrk30

tsrk30 Mentor

Jan 8, 2005
    Does anyone know for sure what the 2 remaining new channels will be? I think the weather channel would be somewhat of a waste.

10. rcwilcox

rcwilcox Godfather

Jan 20, 2003
    These were the ones originally under consideration:

Animal Planet
    TCM
    Hallmark
    Discovery
    History
    Southern Entertainment TV (3channel group)

Assuming when they (SA) found out about Hallmark movie channel (which apparently isn't even up and running yet) they abandoned TCM. In one of their (SA) postings they mentioned DIY and weather type programming. I too hope they don't add the weather channel but who knows for those who don't have dish or cable it might be a good add.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Interesting channel number choices as well. I expected that they would pick a new range (9740's ?) for 'family' programming but it seems they are just reusing old slots.

And why they havn't done anything to the channel names or EPG other than wiping 9713 and 9730 and putting "Special Programming" there is a good question - especially for 9718 which has been FNC for nearly three weeks (as New Channel Coming Soon).

JL

12. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Me thinks there is a problem with obtaining EPG info for these new channels. Probably costs some money for that service. Of course, EchoStar could not provide the info for free. :)

13. BabaLouie

BabaLouie AllStar

Apr 2, 2004
    I would love to have the Weather Channel added. In fact, I wrote Sky Angel suggesting that they add Fox News, The Weather Channel, and Hallmark, among other channels.

14. tsrk30

tsrk30 Mentor

Jan 8, 2005
    Have they ever considered adding the Disney channel?

15. rcwilcox

rcwilcox Godfather

Jan 20, 2003
    these others they have added without raising the rates I suspect or rather I know Disney charges a fair amount for the Disney Channel so they would have to raise rates probably if they added Disney.

16. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Disney Channel is not likely to be one of the additions. Wouldn't want to start a Holy War.

17. JeffH

JeffH Mentor

Sep 22, 2004
    Maybe they are waiting to change the EPG when all of the new channels are in place.

The promotional program will probably start at that time as well

18. krazy k

krazy k Legend

Apr 26, 2003
    ive mentioned it before, and i will repeat myself.
    Why force E, to remove 3 christian channels and then drop 3 more christian channels from the line up( insp, black gospel channel, daystar) to replace them with non christian programming that i already get from E.
    It doesnt make sense,
    But what do you expect from a christian organization,,,,
    clark

19. jegrant

jegrant Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    I thought it was INSP's idea to leave, not Sky Angel kicking them out. That's what was stated publicly anyway. See http://skyangel.com/insp/ - "... INSP found it necessary to discontinue ..."

20. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I got this e-mail from a person at INSP
    “For more than seven years, INSP-The Inspiration Network has been honored to be a part of the Sky Angel satellite system and Sky Angel has been honored to have INSP part of the Sky Angel family of networks. Recently INSP found it necessary to discontinue the distribution of INSP on Sky Angel. Sky Angel and INSP regret any inconvenience that this may cause to Sky Angel subscribers. Both ministries remain committed to reach the world with the Gospel through television and wish each other's God's best.”

So it was NOT Sky Angel that dumped INSP. It was INSP that dumped Sky Angel.

See ya
    Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.