1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 year old accidentally kills 2 year old sister

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Cholly, May 1, 2013.

1. May 1, 2013 #1 of 25
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  2. May 1, 2013 #2 of 25
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "Son, here's your gun and some bullets -- but remember, this is not a toy."

:eek:

3. May 1, 2013 #3 of 25
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    When did the authorities start calling depraved indifference an accident??

4. May 1, 2013 #4 of 25
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I heard this on the radio and had to pull over for a second.
    What the heck were these parents thinking? They give a child who is probably not even capable of tying his own shoes, a weapon?? The only accident I see is the one made by the coroner who labeled this "a crazy accident".

5. May 1, 2013 #5 of 25
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well maybe next time, the kid will shoot one of the parents -- accidentally!

6. May 1, 2013 #6 of 25
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    We have guns in our house but by no means are any of them "just sitting in the corner". The 5 year old needs to removed from the house and both parents need to be charged with every law imaginable.

7. May 1, 2013 #7 of 25
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I suppose that's OK ... his sister is only a little dead. :(

[​IMG]
    This picture is from the website of the manufacturer of the gun in question.
    :nono2:

8. May 1, 2013 #8 of 25
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    All cases like this should result in charges against the parents.

9. May 2, 2013 #9 of 25
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    As much as I support the 2nd Amendment, it just blows my mind to read about cases like this. Giving a *gun* to someone who's still at the age of eating library paste...

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Leaving a loaded gun unsecured with at least two small children in the house is a ticking time bomb. While the parents have lost one child, I don't think they should be given the opportunity to lose another.

11. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    There is a 12 year old boy in the neighborhood that still has lay on the ground, kicking and screaming tantrums; hopefully nobody ever gives that brat a firearm.

Obviously, that kid is disturbed, and the parents won't do anything. I hope their wake up call does not involve a death like the parents of the 2 year old.

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This is a good (unfortunately) example of the kind of adult who should not be permitted to own a gun... also unfortunately, there are many who would fight for such a person to have one anyway :(

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    This is a good (unfortunately) example of the kind of adult who should not be permitted to have a child.

14. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    True... I didn't go there... but also very true.

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment and against gun control but no way in Hell should a child that young be allowed to handle a firearm!

1 person likes this.
  16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think there are certain cases where most people agree that there are certain people that should not have access to a firearm, even staunch second amendment proponents. I have an inlaw that does not believe anyone should be prevented from having whatever firearm they want, but there are radicals on both sides.

17. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    You can't fix stupid. :nono:

18. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    See, if they did a background check on the 4yr old they would have found out he was 4yrs old.

19. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    :nono2: See post #17, above

20. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Haven't been here in a while and when I saw this story initially, I knew there would be a thread on it. I just figured it would be locked after a few posts! As a pre-face, this has nothing to do with my own beliefs on the 2nd amendment or gun-control, etc. This is simply my objective view of this particular incident and the circumstances surrounding it.

You have to keep the big picture in mind (which the linked story offers little insight into). This is an area of the country where most boys, and probably a lot of girls too, have killed, field dressed and maybe even butchered their first deer, or other large game, by the time they are 10 years old (if not before).
    In the original reports from the coroner and law enforcement they stated that it is not unusual at all for kids that young to be learning how to shoot and to have "their own" guns. Basically they stated that the accident itself was really the only rare thing about it.

In the suburban world, you often hear about an unsupervised child drowning in a swimming pool, hitting their head while riding a bike with no helmet, or choking on a small toy. In my opinion, while definitely a tragic event brought on by certain parental negligence, this is not any different from those others and I don't think there should be any additional hatred directed towards these parents, who have suffered an incredible loss, than what is justified in those other cases.