1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

501 and single lnb dish

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by jkane, Apr 9, 2013.

1. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    I have an old 501 with a single 1996 lnb dish looking at 119. If I point it east to one of the newer sattelites, can it receive them? Is there another sattelite like 119 that has most programming in it?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
  3. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    So nothing further east like 61.5 or 77 like my other receivers use? I guess I'll have to stay with 119 then. I am always concerned that dish will retire that location.

4. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    DISH will be retiring your 501 long before they retire the 119w slot.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The 501 is not useful for the Eastern Arc satellites. There may be a few channels left, but they aren't likely to be compatible for long.

Any particular reason you feel compelled to go with a 17 year old setup pointed at the slot with the lowest number of channels?

I'm dubious that DISH would allow activation of a 501 anymore.

6. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Because I own it. No fees. I only use it 5-6 times a year. I find it convenient to use, but would find another kind of entertainment if it were retired.

I started looking around since it has started having issues. I am almost ready to admit it's the lnb. The reciever seems fine. I cut down a tree that was growing close to too high last year. Now it's starting to have signal drop problems again.

Since I may need a new lnb, I may end up using a different dish too. Was looking at what else to point at. I have an old superdish 500 on the shelf, but the idiot installer who removed it from my roof twisted the mount. Grrrr. I may try it anyhow. It can do 119 and 110, so might even be better. Except, I think there is another tree in the way of 110.

7. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Get a 211 receiver and aim at 72.7 for a $40 fee you can convert it to a DVR so it would be about the equivalent of the 501. 211 W/DVR does not have monthly fees for DVR.