1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

501 Hacked to 508

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by Anonym, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Anonym

Anonym Guest

Need:JTAG and a few fles of the net.

What was done:
    ( I spent whole night for experiments with formatting 80 and 120 GB disks, flashing chips, etc - no, no - the 120 GB drive not accepted by the P063 version now, but I'm continue fighting for the size ... )
    My steps:
    - erase both flashs in PVR501
    - write P063 into flash#2
    - write only 48 bytes EEPROM header ( actually it's the same - you could use yours ) - just FFed rest of EEPROM dump and write back
    - clean 80 GB HDD on your PC ( I did this for sectors 0,1,2,3,131071; DMC made erase first 150000 sectors)
    - install the disk in IRD and wait for "Acquiring signal" message
    - turn off the PVR501
    - write bronzemaxell's EEPROM dump
    - connect power and wait around 15 min ( 2 min for signal, 5 min for DL, 5 min for programming flash )
    for final picture:
    =====================
    == 60 hours 12 minutes !! ==
    =====================

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm going to leave this post here, but if this thread devolves into talk about ANYTHING else other than putting in a larger hard drive, then it'll be deleted immediately. No talk about hacking programming!

3. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    hehe - i think you are in the Wrong Forum there Bud :)

4. DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    Why bother? Sell the 501 on ebay and buy a 508. When you connect a JTAG up to you receiver, you run a serious risk of damaging it.

5. boba

boba Guest

Rigton DISH DUDE 1 not only has he spent time and money doing the hack he has also voided any warranty on the 501. I would spend $1.99 per month to buy the extended warranty on any PVR just to protect my investment. Infact my PVR-501 upgrade becomes a year old in August, I better take my own advice now.

6. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I have been doing some research into this, and it appears that in doing this you may be violating the DMCA for altering the software.

I have contacted legal help on this and am waiting for an opinion on this.

I am all for freedom of information as long as its LEGAL information. :)

7. DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    whats the DMCA?

8. Aug 1, 2002 #8 of 15
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Digital Millenium Copyright Act

In this case, I don't think it applies unless the thread were to delve into hacking programming. Hence the message I first posted.

9. Aug 1, 2002 #9 of 15
    unreg user

unreg user Guest

The DMCA only applies if a copyright protection scheme is circumvented, or if someone decrypts something with the intent of getting at content. It also makes it illegal to create/use/sell or give tools for circumvention. The above is possibly illegal if anything in the flash or on the drive is encrypted. It'd definitely be illegal if it told you how to disable Macrovision or watch unauthorized programming. Then again, since removal of a technological measure is against the DMCA, and erasing the flash could be called removal, and the flash probably has access controls, some lawyers might be getting the paperwork ready right now.

See http://www.loc.gov:8081/copyright/title17/92chap12.html#1201 and http://anti-dmca.org/

Oh, and reading this is a violation of the DMCA since I applied ROT-26 encryption to this message. Have a nice day! :D

10. dlsnyder

dlsnyder Godfather

Apr 24, 2002
    How does this mod end up recording more programming on the same HD? Is it actually writing over the reserved space? Since it records the whole datastream in its original form it couldn't be compressing it somehow could it?

11. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    It doesn't - this thread is purely about replacing the 40GB drive in your 501 with an 80GB drive.

12. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Still the title lends itself to a negative. Maybe upgraded would be better.

Yet why bother?

13. ADent

ADent AllStar

Jul 7, 2002
    That would be Unauthorized upgrade.

14. MrAkai

MrAkai Guest

That is of course assuming that the rather unconstitutional (to any supreme court that didn't choose a president along part lines) DMCA is legal.

15. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Until it is challenged it is. So why push it on this site?