1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

501 vs. 301 in heavy rain

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by DRJDAN, Jul 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRJDAN

DRJDAN Legend/Supporter

Apr 28, 2002
    We had a heavy rain storm tonight. My 501 went out before the 301 did at the beginning of the storm.

My 501 did not come back when the 301 did. The 501 switch check showed all ok with normal signals. Support had me turn off and unplug for 30 seconds. Then everything worked ok. Support said that needed rebooting like a computer even though we had no power loss. She said the lost of sat signal could cause the same issues as loss of power.

This is the second storm that I have had this problem with the 501.

Do 501's normally have to be rebooted after storms?

Do 501's normally go out before and come back on after 301's?

2. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    It shouldn't go out before. As for the reboot, it shouldn't need it - but it doesn't surprise me. I have a DISHPlayer. Nothing Echostar makes could surprise me now (except perhaps, a working product:) )

3. motjes2

motjes2 Legend

May 9, 2002
    I have a 501 and I have experienced signal loss with thunderstorms or heavy rain. The signal loss has not been for more than 2 minutes and the signal always come back.

4. abospaum

abospaum AllStar

Jul 11, 2002
    My 501 was doing something strange a couple of days ago during a big storm. I was recording a show when the storm hit and I lost the signal on and off. I noticed that the record light turned off and when the reception came back it didn't come back on. I pushed the record button again and got a timer conflict. If it knows that it is supposed to be recording a show then why didn't it do it.

Also last night I had a show I was watching and recording at the same time on pause. When it was time for my next recording to start the PVR was still paused and did not try to record the new show. Has anyone else seen this bug?

5. johnsmith22

johnsmith22 Legend

Jul 12, 2002
    I used to have the same problems as you described when we were back on software release 130 something, since the releases moved on back in February the problem has gone away. Make sure you have 154 which up til yesterday was the latest I had received.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    If one IRD was getting its feed from 110W
    and the other from 119W you could very well
    have one come back before the other.

Nickster :smoking:

7. psecic

psecic AllStar

Apr 5, 2002
    Does the 501PVR have interactive features, I.E. weather, games? I just ordered one from Dishnetwork for $99.00. My Dishplayer shuts itself off & on when flipping channels.

8. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Yes, the 501 does have OpenTV :)

9. psecic

psecic AllStar

Apr 5, 2002

I thought it did. Thanks for the info. :) :) :) :) :)

10. sha

sha Guest

psecic you ordered on for $99 or $199
    If you ordered it for $99 how did you get them to give it to you for that price? s plain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.