1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

508 issue with losing signal--suggestions?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by davepack, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davepack

davepack Cool Member

Nov 24, 2002
    This past Saturday morning, I noticed that my 508 kept losing the signal. There was no storm activity at all. I kept getting the little window pop-up that it was acquiring the signal showing the transponder and the attempt number (like 0 of 5, 1 of 5, etc).

I had to leave for the day; when I returned in the evening, everything was okay. My wife said she did a front panel reset and that seemed to take care of it. Sunday there were no problems.

Then today (Monday), I went home for lunch and noticed the problem happening again. Can't watch but a few seconds of picture before it loses the signal. And if I DO get the picture, it usually starts to break up/pixellate. I tried a front panel reset but it didn't seem to do any good. I had to get back to work, so I had no chance to spend more time on it.

Based on what I'm experiencing, what do you think? Has anyone else been having issues with a signal the past few days from Dish? Anyone think this is a hardware problem?

Thanks guys. This forum truly rocks, and I've learned a lot from you guys. I think it's saying something that I've stopped calling Dish first and made this forum my first stop instead. :)

2. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I would try a reboot (unplug power, wait a few minutes and plug back in) before proceeding further. Give that a shot and see if it helps.

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Hey davepack,

Nice to have you here and glad you are enjoying the forums.

What kind of switches do you have and which LNB's are you running? Dishpro or Legacy? Sometimes the older switches can be flaky and cause some problems. I had the same thing happen to me a while back and found out that my SW64 was going bad.

Also, do you have a clear view of the sky? Any trees that might be blowing around in the Dish's path?

There is also the possibility that your receiver may be having some problems but it's good to rule out some other things first.

4. davepack

davepack Cool Member

Nov 24, 2002
    To the first reply--thanks for the suggestion, I'll try unplugging the unit for a while and see if that helps.

Chris--hmm...to be honest, I don't know, I'll have to check. The whole Dish setup was installed for me way back in 1997, and I don't know too much of the details between the receiver and the dish itself. For some reason, "SW21" is popping up in my head. Does that sound like a valid switch type? I'll see if I can pull it up on the menu and check it. I was thinking of running a "check switch" as well, although I don't know if that'll help. Really, I need to get educated and understand what a "switch" and "LNB" do. Is there a document or FAQ somewhere on this site, or on another site perhaps, that is great for a Dish "tech newbie" to read?

Trees are not an issue. I'm on the north side of the street in a tree-less subdivision; I've got a clear, unobstructed view to the southwest, so I'm okay there.

Thanks guys. I sure hope this doesn't mean my 508 is on the fritz. With a new season of Survivor, my wife is gonna flip if that's the case. :)

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Davepack try www.switchinfo.info/lnbs.html for switch LNB information You will need to run the switch test to find out what you have it will be displayed as part of the test. You sound like a good candidate for the $1.99 extended warranty if you haven't already bought it. You must be covered for a month before filling a claim.

6. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    I would be curious as to what you signal is doing. I suggest putting the signal strenght screen up and watch it for a few minutes on each satallite you are connected to. See how much the signal moves. If it is jumping all over then I would suspect that you have something wrong or tree obstruction (but you already ruled that out). Something wrong could be the dish needs repointing to bad switch or LNB. I have some tree obstruction and whenever i start seeing it I checked the signal out and low and behold the signal is jumping around.

Quick trip outside, trim a few branches, and I am back into business. ;)

7. Oct 5, 2003 #7 of 11
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Sounds like a possible tuner failure issue to me in which the Dish DVR's are known for at times.

8. Oct 5, 2003 #8 of 11
    Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Videotape the signal strength screen! If strength is stable you might have a dishpr problem or tuner failure

9. Oct 5, 2003 #9 of 11
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    If you are having a tuner issue then you may see the signal strength bar go back and forth turning red then green (which means its unlocking then locking back onto the satellite) or at least see it bounce back and forth more than 5% but have a lot larger differences in signal strength.

10. bobsupra

bobsupra Work In Progress DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 12, 2002
    I was having the same problem with my 508 the last month or so. The 6000 and three 301's were fine. Also, the 508 would not record many of the programs I had set-up. Called Dish CS last night. Did the "swap it with one of the 301's and see if problem still occurs" routine. Still no joy. They are sending me a rehab unit for 19.95.

11. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    How about Coax failure? I had much the same problem until I replaced some cheap RG59 that I installed a couple of years ago. Dropped some quality RG6 in is place and no problems since.

Swap cables if you can as an experiment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.