1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

508 questions

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by WarriorPrncess, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarriorPrncess

WarriorPrncess New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Hi, Just joined your wonderful forum to hopefully get some help with my new 508 (well, it's probably refurbished, but it's new to me). Can't tell you all how much I appreciate the great advice listed in this forum - you are the reason I was able to get a 508 out of E* while on DHP. Five minutes of using it yesterday and I was in love. :D But because I'm such a tv fanatic, I want to make sure I don't screw up my recorded shows, so I've got some questions.

What are the things to avoid to make sure my saved shows don't get corrupted/erased without my permission? (besides locking them to protect them)

To follow up on that one, should I worry about software upgrades? Can they wipe the saved shows?

Can I watch something on vhs while recording with my pvr (so they don't interfere with each other)? (I know, vhs sucks, but some of my shows have to be recorded using my 4900 onto vhs)

How many event timers can I set up?

With the new software, is there still a problem using the guide, pressing cancel, etc. while the pvr is recording?

Is there a way to find out how far into a recorded show I am while watching it (something more than the progress bar)?

I have it plugged into a power surge protector - do I need to do anything more? (I live in CA, no real bad weather to speak of)

Any assistance you could give me would be wonderful! (and I apologize in advance if I've asked horribly newbie questions - I did a search and didn't find answers to these questions)

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Welcome to the forum.. Here are my comments to the question.

Well not a lot you can except keep them protected. Also, I would always try and keep a buffer of free space. If you are that concerned with loosing programs spin them off to tape.

Well That is always a possibility and I think I have read some places where this has occurred. I have not seen it. and lots of time you are unware it happens unless you follow this forum.

This is a cableing issue. Answer is yes if you are properly cabled.

Not sure, but I know if you have a lot stability can go done. I know the 721 has a bug with 65, but I am not sure about the 508. I would think you would be safe with 30 or so.

I dont seem to have any problems here.

Yes if you press info while on watching a recorded show it will tell you how much time has been shown.

I dont think so

Well I ran into a few gotchas.

1) Be careful when you program a multi-week event.. If you later have a conflict for the one week and delete the multi-week timer all the events associated with that timer are erased.

2) If a timer fires and you are recording a show and cancel the recording and then try and record another show you get a conflict tha the 508 wants you to resolve. This is a bug in my eyes.. You have to delete the timer event even though you are currently not recording from it to record another program.

Well thats my thoughts..

Cheers.

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Hi Warrior Princess and welcome to DBSTalk.Com! :welcome_s

Not much really. You just have to be careful what you are doing. Luckily the latest version of the software makes it difficult for you to accidentally erase something.

NO! Software upgrades will not do that.

YES! Recording to a VCR with your 4900 and recording with your 508 are two different things and won't interfere with each other.

No. When something is recording, you get warning screens that keep you from accidentally stopping the recording.

Yes. Pressing cancel will give you how much time is left in the show.

Not really but an UPS might be a good idea. They are cheap and good insurance against losing shows during a power outage.

Thanks for registering and glad to have your here!

4. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    I would buy a uninterruptible power supply, for under $50 it not only protects the system fromn surges but prevents reboots if a power glitch occurs. Aroud here thats a daily event.

5. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    I just purchased a 508 and can't get the unit to power off. After plugging it in, I heard the hard drive spinning, but when I pushed the power button on the front of the receiver, it would not turn off the light on the front. I thought I heard the hard drive shift down, but...........
    Could it be damaged or did I do something wrong? I just picked it up yesterday.

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    BNEWT as instructed before you have to do the initial software download before the receiver knows how to operate.

7. WarriorPrncess

Oct 2, 2003
    WeeJavaDude, Chris Blount, and Bob Haller,

THANK YOU!!!! You've been so kind to welcome me here and give such great advice and assistance. It's much appreciated. I'll get an uninterruptible power supply this weekend to protect my dvr (and all those wonderful shows :) ).

Two quick follow up questions, WeeJavaDude:

You mentioned that if I have the equipment set up properly, the vcr won't interfere with the pvr. I have it set up so the cable from the dish goes to the receiver, then to the vcr, then to the tv. Is that right? If not, how should I set it up? Oh, and I assume the UPS goes between the power cord for the dvr and the outlet?

And you also mentioned a mulit-week timer glitch - I'm assuming this is for a miniseries type situation? Or playoffs, of course. ;) As I understood your message, when you end up deleting the event timer, the recorded shows themselves get deleted with it. Is that right? What if you protect the shows that were recorded?

Thanks again.

8. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Yes that would be correct. You want the VCR between the PVR and TV. Also I believe the 508 has two Composite outputs and one svideo. I would run the svideo directly to the tv and then run the composite from the PVR to the VCR then to the TV. Since the PVR records directly from the dish there is no way the VCR can get in the way of recording. However it could get in the way of viewing the Dish.

Well The multi-timer issue I ran into with Survivor and when they change the time occassionally. I would change the one time and then all the rest would be removed. The shows that are already recorded are not affected. Basically what happens if you are not careful is that you delete the multi-timer event and you have to re-add it. Not a big deal unless you don't notice that the mult-timer event was deleted.

Does that clear things up?

9. WarriorPrncess

Oct 2, 2003
    It absolutely does! :) Thanks again, WeeJavaDude - your help has been invaluable.

My pvr is the best thing since, well, satellite tv. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.