1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

522 & Basic Cable

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by mattoid, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattoid

mattoid Cool Member

Apr 15, 2003
    First off, no harassing comments about the basic cable :nono2: Unfortunately I’m on what’s called a paragain telephone network and can not receive DSL service. But now to the point. Will the 522 coax output be able to work in conjunction with the pathetic basic cable service? (I’m forced to accept since I have a cable modem) My plan of attack is to have the cable co’s feed come in to the input of the 522, then out to the rest of the house. What channel output range does the 522 have? Basic Cable is 2 through 20 something. The cable modem will be on it’s own split, so I’m not worried about passing the cable modem signal through the 522. Or should I keep my 721.......Any Idears?

2. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Mattoid,

The RF input into the 522 as well as all Dish DVR's is strictly a pass through. Since ALL Satellite DVR receivers have NO Digital Encoders in them you can NOT record anything other than the satellite streamed channels. If you have your cable line run through your 721 then it will be fine with the 522.

I would suggest you check into Earthlink High Speed. Earthlink has a lot of agreements with Cable Co's and Telephone providers. If Earthlink High speed has a agreement in place with your cable company you get to keep the same cable modem and its bandwidth, Price for Earthlink High Speed is $41.99 (usually cheaper than the NON Cable TV sub price, as well as a cheap introductory rate). The only thing that would change will be your email address.

John

3. mattoid

mattoid Cool Member

Apr 15, 2003
    I'm not wanting to record and cable, I know that, what I'm wanting to know what is the range on the RF out on the 522? Since my basic cable stops at 22, do I have the ability to have the output of tuner 1 on channel 25 & the out put of tuner 2 on like 29 or something? The 721's only out is 3 or 4, and when it's in video mode of (tv/video) the basic cable is not passed through, lots of interference.

4. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Mattoid,

The RF output for Tuner #1 is just like all other receivers either Channel 3 or 4. Tuner #2 can be selected, although the output for Tuner #2 is UHF NOT the middle band frequencies Cable uses. I'll assume your TV is set to tune cable and NOT UHF since the output of the RF for TUNER #2 will be UHF you will be out of luck if you want to be able to tune any cable channels above 13 when the TV's set to AIR/VHF UHF. When the TV is set to tune cable frequencies or you won't be able to see the output of Tuner #2 of the 522.

John

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    The 522 CAN be set to output in "cable mode" - no problem. Pick a channel at least 3-4 above the highest coming from the cable company.

You need to use a "combiner" to merge the signals so that you don't backfeed your 522 TV2 output into the rest of the cable system - they frown on that.

6. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    Wait, why can't you connect the DISH receiver using an RCA or S-Video cable?

Also, if you have Time Warner Cable, you can switch to Earthlink cable internet and start saving at least $15 per month!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.