1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

522 hard drive failure

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ronfelder, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronfelder

ronfelder Mentor

Jan 9, 2006
    Well i was watching a movie from my dvr when the picture kept on freezing. I decided to do a cold boot to solve the problem. well my drive wanted to do a 45 minute test which perhaps i shouldn't have but cancelled. Anyway after another cold boot it now says my hard drive info is corrupted and is now i suppose reformatting my drive. i just lost lots of movies that i had recorded. oh well. good thing that the movie channels have a habit of repeating movies. so i'll have to get everything over again another time.

Any ideas as to the cause. Did i cause it by not doing the diagnostics? If so why did it need to run them to begin with? Get error code 311. hd, Can't acess dvr screens

Just spoke to csr who was very helpful. They have decided they my hard drive is defective and the 522 is going to be replaced. I have to pay $14 to ship it though. That's cheaper than having to pay for theDish Home Protection Plan. Not one for insurances on electronic equpiment. If for example I need to replace my old 4700 it's cheaper to just buy a replacement on E bay. Plus thinking about it I have a 301 that I took from my ex's when I gave her my spare 510 to use.

Ron

2. BillRadio

BillRadio Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    Ron,
    Yes, it has been discussed in the DVR section of this forum. When it happened to me, the history showed everythikg was deleted on an invalid date. This is usually caused by a bad drive sector. It's too back it can't ignore it like windows. Replacement is their only answer, and yes, in the long run, $14 is relatively cheap. I replaced 2 in less than 2 months and the 2nd shipping charge was credited.

3. bcas400e

bcas400e Mentor

Nov 3, 2004
    Same thing happened to us about 8 months back, they sent us a new unit for 14.95. Now this one won't download the guide anymore, so all the DVR timers go away when no guide is downloaded. They are shipping me a new unit for free. If/when this new one fails, we will be leaving dish.

4. ronfelder

ronfelder Mentor

Jan 9, 2006
    Why would you leave Dish if a hard drive fails. I just had that happend to me on on my computer when XP crashed. That took all day to reisntall the programs and XP. Those things happen. I'll just do another search to rerecord all the movies I lost on my 522.

Ron

5. AdamGott

AdamGott AllStar

Nov 29, 2005

Dish hard drives fail much more frequently than Windows, Tivo, ReplayTV, etc. I don't know what they do with their programming (code, not tv shows) but it sucks. I replaced two 625's in 5 months and already sent back a VIP622.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Its rarely programming that causes the drive failures, its usually excessive heat.....you've seen some of the posts, the places some people put their DVRs is criminal....they need to be treated just like a PC since thats really what they are....

7. bcas400e

bcas400e Mentor

Nov 3, 2004
    Well,

As another person mentioned, TiVo, PCs, etc. seem to have a better failure rate than the DISH DVRs. We have a TiVo that ran flawlessly for 3 years before we got the Dish DVR. If we go back to cable, we'll get the TiVo out and use it. It is very inconvenient to have to replace that stuff every 6 - 9 months. It shouldn't fail that frequently.

I think that Dish has an issue with their hardware design and the cooling. The Tivo has several large vents with a PC like fan in the back and that thing was always cool to the touch, and quiet. I have noticed the Dish DVRs run HOT and are very noisy. Our DVR is not enclosed it is in an open TV stand with 3 inches of clearance on the sides and 4 on top. Plenty of airflow.

We'll see what happens, but based on past experience, I am not getting my hopes up for this new unit.

BCA

8. springdale_sam

springdale_sam Mentor

Jan 13, 2006
    hey i was wondering i am going to move here in a couple of months and i wanted to know if i unplug my 522 for like a few days will lose all my recordings

9. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    No.

10. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    My 508 hard drive has lasted 4 years so far, I have two 24GB drives in a server that have been running non stop for 5 years now

11. springdale_sam

springdale_sam Mentor

Jan 13, 2006
    thanks

12. springdale_sam

springdale_sam Mentor

Jan 13, 2006
    this is off the topic but i still want to ask this question why is wgn burried like on 239 after like the shopping channels and stuff

13. allen98311

allen98311 AllStar

Jan 18, 2006
    It's up there with all the rest of the superstations.

14. springdale_sam

springdale_sam Mentor

Jan 13, 2006
    well then why are they all burried back there then

15. kf4omc

kf4omc Godfather

Apr 11, 2006
    The real question is why isnt it put with TBS. If it was with the other superstations wont it be with Superstation TBS?

16. ronfelder

ronfelder Mentor

Jan 9, 2006
    Mine is out in the open and gets plenty of air. The dvr wanted to do a hard drive test, but I cancelled the test. If I had let the test run would the problem been fixed?

Ron

17. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005

No, your HD would have been wiped either way.

18. stuart628

stuart628 Banned User

Jul 8, 2004
    actually that is not true, my 625 has done two hard drive tests in the last week, and all the info is still on there!

19. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005

The release notes for the last software update included something about hardrive checks. Maybe the auto-wipe problem has been corrected.

20. springdale_sam

springdale_sam Mentor

Jan 13, 2006
    hey i went over to the tivo web site and they are expensive i have a 522 and i love it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.