1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

522 on 1 tv

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by nkeeper, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkeeper

nkeeper New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Can I use the coaxial out for tv2 and go to a coaxial on the back of my main tv. In otherwords I don't want to hook the 522 to a 2nd tv; instead use both tv1 and tv2 outputs to go to a single tv.

Thanks for the help.

Richard

2. mjrusso45

mjrusso45 Mentor

Jan 31, 2004
    Yes, but AFAIK you would need to use both remotes to make it function correctly.

3. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    The coaxial connection is generally regarded as poor. Consider the composite or s-video if you can.

4. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    I use a small amplifier with my 4900 receiver. It has increased my coaxial picture to equal that of the s-video. I ran it this way for simplicity for the wife.

5. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    Unfortuniately your picture is still degraded, and you only get mono sound.

6. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    Actually, with the 522 and 322, you get Stereo sounds via the COAX. It has to do with the Modulator (sp?)

I have my 522 set to send the 2nd tv picture on UHF Channel 30, and use a signal combiner to add my VHF/UHF antenna to a single coax into the back of the TV. So I just change my local channels 11 (PBS) 13 (CBS) 27 (NBC) 30 (Satellite) 49 (ABC)

On all the above channels it says "STEREO" on the TV. Plus it says that in the Manual for the 522.

I believe the 322 just sends MONO sound to the 2nd TV... but if I remember right it tells how to send Stereo sound. I just have a 13" Orion as my 2nd TV on the 322 so I don't worry about Stereo sound since it only has 1 speaker.

7. jwortiz

jwortiz New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I've been thinking of getting a 522 and I'm not sure what you get with the receiver/package and how to set it up. I'm trying to understand how it's supposed to be hooked up so that both my daughters can watch television in their rooms and eliminate additional receiver fees.

Inquiring mind want to know? ;-)

Is there a link or document I can go to that helps clarify this?

Thanks in advance.

8. JasonMonette

JasonMonette Mentor

Feb 24, 2004
    I just sign up for Dish Network. A 522 and 322 will be installed on sat. I am also going to use the 522 with one TV. and Until the signle mode is upgraded, this is how I am going to wire it up.

S-video from tuner one on 522 into tuner one on tv and optical out into receiver Sat/TV

Composite Video/RCA audio from tuner two on 522 to tuner 2 on TV.

This way I will be able to take advantage of my TV's PIP with the 2 tuner set up of the 522. Will I be able to use just one remote with this set up? Does one remote control both tuners? Or would I have to use both the IR and the UHF remotes?

As for how to use it with two tv's. I believe this is what you are looking for:

Both the 522 and the 322 have dual tuners. That means you can watch different channels on two TV's. The receiver will be in one room with one TV. You will use the IR remote with this TV. IR (Infa-Red) is line of site, I.E. it doesn't go through walls and has to have a clear path to the receiver to change the channel.

You will run a cable from the receiver from tuner 2 to your other TV in a different room. This TV will use the UHF remote. UHF use radio frequency. This IS NOT line of site and can go through walls. So you will be able to change the channel on tuner 2 from a different rooom.

I hope that helped you out :confused:

9. mjrusso45

mjrusso45 Mentor

Jan 31, 2004
    You will need both remotes. I've not heard of anyone figuring out how to control Tuner 2 with anything else.

10. JasonMonette

JasonMonette Mentor

Feb 24, 2004
    There has to be a way. Unless that what Single mode allows you to do. but the hardware should all ready be there. We just need some hacker 8 year old to figure out how to make it work
    :D

11. mjrusso45

mjrusso45 Mentor

Jan 31, 2004
    Unfortunately I am 29, so I am disqualified :)

If you do find a way, let me know. I want to control Tuner 2 from my main TV pretty bad.

12. JasonMonette

JasonMonette Mentor

Feb 24, 2004

I am 28 but I will give it a shot when it gets installed on Sat. ;)

13. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I'm 56, so if you open the battery compartment on the Tuner 2 remote slide out the blue section on the bottom of the remote and turn it over. Slide it back in and it now controls Tuner 1 if they are both set to the same remote address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.