1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

522 TV2 - UHF signal only?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by sarama711, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarama711

sarama711 Registered User

Feb 23, 2004
    On the 522, TV1 only responds to an IR signal while TV2 only responds to a UHF signal.

Is this correct?!

Unfortunately, that means that I will need to buy additional DISH TV2 remotes to control TV2 (even if I'm in the same room with the receiver).

You can switch the blue control key on the TV2 remote, but then it only works for TV1.

My older 4900 is able to receive both IR and UHF signals which is great for using a learning remote to control it.

Is there anyway to use a programmable learning remote to control TV2? I haven't seen a learning remote that can learn a UHF frequency. Or am I truly forced to buy three more TV2 remotes? Any other options?

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    DISH likes to make money by doing things just slightly different from normal so you have to use their products. Until somebody comes out with a product DISH is the only source.

3. CivilizedAnarchy

CivilizedAnarchy AllStar

Nov 22, 2003
    TIP & TRICK

The second tuner remote is IR AND UHF.

Just pull out the battery cover and where the blue tab is, slid it out
    and flip it over. Then put it back in.
    There is an internal switch and the tab acts like a key to move it.

There is a actual process to setting it up, I believe it is in the manual
    under running the receiver in single mode instead of dual.

Lata, C.J.

4. sarama711

sarama711 Registered User

Feb 23, 2004
    I thought that if I switched the key from blue to green, then the remote for TV2 just becomes another remote for TV1 (the green key even says TV1 on it). If you were running the receiver in Single Mode, then that may work.

I'm trying to use the receiver in Dual Mode, though, and would (ideally) want to send an IR signal to TV1 and an IR signal to TV2. I've been digging some more in the archives, and it doesn't seem like this is possible.

From what I can tell, the remote for TV2 is UHF Pro and IR, but the IR signal is designed to control other components (DVD, VCR, TV). If you switch the key to just IR, it can be set to control the other components but now can only control TV1.

I guess TV1 only responds to an IR signal whereas TV2 only responds to the UHF signal. Unfortunately that means you can't use a single remote to control both TV1 and TV2 - even if you're in the room with the receivers.

DISH says $40 for an additional TV2 remote...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.