1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

5400 vs 7200 RPM External Drives

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Jamus, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Jamus

Jamus New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    I am trying to do a little research on adding external drives to a 722k. From what I can find, the 722k has a 500GB internal drive. As this drive fills up, my DVR gets more and more sluggish to respond to commands. In addition to that, I would like to have a little more recording time for keeping some things on it long term.

To keep things peppy, I am considering a 7200 RPM drive with a good cache on it. But knowing Dish (and Direct for that matter) probably put the cheapest lowest spec drives in their units they can get away with, I wonder if a 7200 will actually make any noticeable difference (especially since both would still be going out over USB2).

Has anyone seen any tests showing 5400 vs 7200 drive differences on Dish DVR's?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you'll have no advantage, but you will pay more for the HDD (and electricity :) )

practically, you don't need to test 5.4 or 7.2K or 10K or 15K RPM drives; streaming of HD or SD recordings has well known values, so 5.4K RPM drive will support 4 HD stream just fine; counting size of the files you cold conclude insignificance of HDD's cache size