1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5LNB Dish to one HR22 - How many RG6 feeds from dish are needed??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by davefr, Dec 31, 2008.

1. davefr

davefr New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I've viewed all the KA/KU installation videos and it's not clear to me how many RG6 feeds you need from the dish to the home for a typical single receiver system (ex: HR22) HD/DVR installation?

I currently have a single LNB std. Direct TV self installation consisting of 100' of underground RG6. Do I need a second underground feed? I assume the second Sat In on the receiver is for DVR. Will I simply sacrifice DVR funtionality if I stick with one feed from dish to home?

2. GP245

GP245 Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    Unless you install an SWM, which only needs 1 cable coming into your home, you will need 2 cables connected to your HR22 to enable the ability to tune to two different channels.

Your HR22 will work with your current set up, but it will only be able to show and/or record one channel at a time.

3. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    It will work, but he will also miss out on a lot of the HD channels since it is an old single lnb dish. To get the most out of your HR22 you will need a newer dish to get all of the programming for your HR22

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I suggest that you have all four lines run from the dish for future expansion.
    Unless, of course you get an SWM install.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You need a slimline dish. There are 2 different types of LNB technology you can put on that dish. One is SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch), in which case your existing single coax should be sufficient. The other, legacy technology, will require four coax, and those should be solid copper center conductor (which you most likely do not have on your single run).

Even with the legacy LNB technology, you would still have DVR capability on your DVR with only one input. The only thing you would lose is the ability to watch one channel live while recording a second, or to record two shows at once.