1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5th tuner dilema...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jeffmacguy, Jul 26, 2010.

1. jeffmacguy

jeffmacguy Cool Member

Oct 21, 2006
    I would like to add a 5th tuner to my installation. I currently have a traditional slimline 5 with a 8-port multi-switch supporting 4 DVR's (HR-2x). I'm running unsupported MRV over my cat 5 home infrastructure.

Unfortunately, the room where I wish to install the 5th tuner has a single RG-6 run. My preference would be to retro-fit the legacy LNB with SWM, since all tuners are SWM capable. When I called just to request info on how the installer might accomplish this, I was told that the installer would use his discretion depending on available hardware, but that often they would add a second multi-switch and cascade from the first. This seems unnecessarily clunky/cumbersome. As I'd prefer something more eloquent, I considered biting the bullet and paying for the "supported MRV" which would require the installer to make the SWM exchange, in addition to the tuner.

It seems silly that I'd have to go to this trouble, not to mention the additional expense, just to get the additional tuner with the installation hardware I prefer.

Is there any way to avoid this?

2. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    You can't have a SWM LNB. An extra tuner after 4 DVR's will reach 9 (two per DVR). 8 is the max.

3. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    What kind of box are you adding (receiver or DVR?) You currently have 8 tuners (4 DVR's @ 2 tuners each) so your next box will either be the 9th or 10th tuner. A SWMLnb will not work for you (as it only supports 8 tuners) and cascading is not an appropriate method of adding a multiswitch. The "correct" approach for anything over 8 tuners is 2 SWM8's in parallel, or a SWM16. If you go with the "whole home DVR" the ONLY correct method is a SWM16.

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you're adding a receiver, you will have to get a new multiswitch anwyay. Since all are SWiM capable, you might end up with the SWiM-16. See if they'll cut you a break on the Whole Home Installation (with Internet) and that should definitely get you set up the right way.

5. jeffmacguy

jeffmacguy Cool Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Thanks for all the advice... I placed the order online for an additional tuner, and requested professional installation, which turned out to be free. The charge for the receiver (HD-DVR) was $99, which isn't too bad. I made a note in the "note to installer" space that the Zinwell 8 was maxed out and installation would require a SWM-16. Hopefully, he'll have one on the truck and save himself a return trip.

I'll update the thread with the final outcome.

6. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Just a quick semantics note, you placed an order for 2 tuners :D

Good luck!