1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6/13 Charlie Chat Summary

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Allen Noland, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen Noland

Allen Noland New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Charlie and Jim Start the show.

Another “What TV is”. (Very Scary really).

Satellite Tax again – Now South Carolina is trying to pass a satellite only tax. Call 919-733-4111 or go to www.stopsatellitetax.com. See channel somewhere in the 100’s if you live in SC. Massachusetts is also looking into it.

Now a few questions:

e-mails questions about Voom and HD. Charlie – We will have more HD than anyone. Mpeg4 will allow more capacity. Not much content. Voom is the latest content to be add. 10 now, 21 next January. Local HD in major cities. Some channels this fall, more next year.

Questions about broadband solutions: 1: New version of satellite broadband later this year. Made for areas that don’t have any other options. 2. Bundle with other providers that have DSL. 3 Also looking into alternative solutions. No specific announcements this year.

Tennis Channel, Spanish ESPN, oxygen. In contract talks with ESPN deportez. Talking to Oxygen as well. Takes back seat to big providers sometimes. Tennis channel, still talking. Maybe something later this year. Mpeg4 may help. Charlie says in a long drawn out way, some of them are wanting to much money or want it bundled. These channels are in the top requested so they most likely get added some time.

New interactive channel called The Sporting News: E-mail cybercafé@dishnetwork.com if you have questions. Top e-mails are about Sports and Interactive Service.
    Are there plans for a Sports Information Channel? Sporting News will provide in-depth sports information. (seems fairly detailed).

2005 Upcoming Launches:
    Casper-Riverton,WY
    Fairbanks, AK
    Great Falls, MT
    Juneau, AK
    Minot-Bismarck, ND
    San Angelo, Tx

Very limited bandwidth. Stations that don’t offer agreeable re-transmission agreement, the whole DMA is skipped.

International: Video Italia and Leonardo World. Added to current Italian stations in package called Panorama Italiano. 19.99/month. Superdish Required.

Business Television adding TTV. ( www.traderstelevision.com) $99/month Superdish required.

PPV: Rugby Coming back to Dish. Juned 19th and 26th. The Churchill Cub. All 4 games for $34.95, or 19th or 24th for $24.95. TNA Wrestling Slammiversary Live June 19th, 8pm. $29.95. WWE Vengeance June 26, 8pm. $29.95. June 25th, Mayweather vs. Gatti, Super lightweight. $44.95. Lots more in July. See www.dishnetework.com/ppv or call 1-877-Dish-PPV. Tsunami relief cricked Event June 14th and June 20th, 2005. $14.95 each day. Also Lots of Movies.

Now Linda Lyday from DIY Network. Hosts Best Built Home and Talk DIY. (After about 10 minutes of almost interesting conversations, they actually took a call about a building project. OMG, I thought this was a show about satellite show).

Giving away 2 copies of the book and dishnetwork backpacks. What is know as a persuader (sledgehammer I think).

Next chat is a tech forum August 8th. (Nothing in July).

(this is really all there was)

2. Hoxxx

Hoxxx Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Yes makes you wonder why they even have the show.

3. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Next Charlie chat - Sept 12

4. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Al how did you stay awake through that? :)

That was the worst Charlie Chat EVER.

5. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    That's what i hear 'em say after each chat often - "it was THE worst chat ever" :D

6. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    This was truly a waste of an hour. Thanks for the summary

See ya
    Tony

7. Allen Noland

Allen Noland New Member

Apr 23, 2002

It wasn't easy. Wife didn't (as usual) :lol:

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No chat in July when either Charlie or Jim are unavailable.

Tech Chat in August ... they PROMISED details about MPEG4 and HD.

Tech Forum on August 8th
    That's where we get the questions on MPEG4 answered while all our engineers are here and they tell you all about the tech stuff that we just don't understand.

JL

9. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Just when you though they couldn't get any worse...they turn around and have another one that...worse.

10. Rodney

Rodney Legend

Aug 22, 2003
    Scott,

You are absolutely correct. That show was abysmal. Could you possibly have dreamed that you would tune to the Charlie Chat for construction advise? They will do anything to limit the number of calls taken during the show. I can see it now, the September Charlie Chat with a segment featuring Famous Amos on how to use your spare dish as a solar chocolate chip cookie oven.

11. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    This is the first Charlie Chat where I actually fell asleep.

12. Gutter

Gutter AllStar

May 4, 2005
    I think the DIY network should build a better set for Charlie. This one looks right out of a1960 style news set. Sorry it was my first Charlie Chat as a new DISH Customer. I DVR'ed it. Why? I am beginning to wonder about my sanity.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Three customer emails, all summarized and none read. One customer phone call ... about finishing a basement, not Dish. Guest customers from Mississippi who had one receiver and no locals available and after four years with dish STILL had not converted his mother from cable. Plus the mrs guest doesn't use the DVR ... seemingly too dumb.

Guest from programming department took the Mississippi guest's space pretty quick. Guest from DIY took most of the show and kept Charlie from needing to answer REAL questions.

Next month's chat will be better. There will not be one. :D

(I still havn't watched last month's Tech Chat ... it's on the DVR.)

JL

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Don't worry, you'll come to find that sanity isn't such a big deal afterall. You'll fit in here just fine. :)

15. Geoff Goodfellow

Geoff Goodfellow Mentor

Sep 9, 2004
    anyone willing to take a stab at sketching out a rough series of milestones and hurdles that will need to be crossed between now and January to make The More Content and Capacity for Dish HD a reality?

16. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    I actually fell asleep.

Must have some value as marketing tool, we here tend to know more sooner than chats

17. mruk69

mruk69 Legend

Jul 26, 2003
    I have a question which I sent them and they didn't read it.
    For those of us long time customers who are offered the new leased receivers e.g. 811 for $50 and $5 per month. If we lease a receiver will they replace it for free when the mpeg4 receivers come out. I am concidering dumping my 301 for a 811, but not if I have to pay again. I have been a customer for over 7 years so they should take that into concideratiuon. As we all know there are competitors who will gladly offer up a good deal if we dump dish. Also, I should add i am paying for AT180+HBO and locals.

Thanks

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not nessisarily in this order:
    1) Launch 411 MPEG4 Receiver (introduced to dealers earlier this year)
    2) Introduce a MPEG4 DVR to replace all current DVRs
    3) Launch Echostar10 - the new satellite for 110 that should open some transponders
    4) Do major shuffles of locals to get them on the new spotbeams and reach the 'one dish solution' that is a legal requirement facing E* (HD isn't a legal requirement)
    5) Use free transponders on 110 to launch 21 Voom channels (and possibly others) in MPEG4
    6) Hope that someone else has other new HD to introduce
    7) Beg customers to replace their old receivers with MPEG4 compatable ones
    8) Turn off non-MPEG4 HD content forcing customers to upgrade
    9) Use space freed by moving from MPEG2 to MPEG4 on current HD channels to either release new HD channels (if available) or for moving standard channels over to MPEG4

Distant Future (2008?):
    Once MPEG4 receivers are widely available, release no new channels except in MPEG4. Begin swapping out non-HD customer receivers. Eventually kill all MPEG2/QPSK content and use 4x capacity to convert all locals and channels to the highest resolution available from the producers ... downrezed to what E* wants to carry. :)

Just a thumbnail sketch.

JL

19. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    If it weren't for the DBSTalk chats, I doubt I'd ever watch the Charlie Chats at all. ;)

But I doubt if I'll ever get my question answered. :(

:lol:

20. Pepper

Pepper Legend

Mar 8, 2004
    Worst. Chat. Ever.
    - Comic Book Guy, The Simpsons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.